Chapter 79 - A False Glimmer of Hope

Please read the AN at the bottom of the chapter.

—————

...

I returned to the annex later that night, my mind feeling a bit calmer after talking to Hina. Maybe I just needed to vent.

Or maybe Hina's voice is just that calming.

"Oh, y'all are still awake?" I ask the four girl upon finding them still up.

"Ah, Sensei." Hanako greets.

"We just got back." Hifumi explains. "Still, we've had quite a long day today."

"It sure was. I never expected our innocent little stroll to become such an adventure." Hanako agrees.

"It was enjoyable, however." Azusa agrees.

Koharu lets out a happy giggle.

"You're looking much happier, Koharu." The busty girl observes. "Are you proud that you were able to fight next to Hasumi?"

"O-Of course I am! It was my first time." Koharu says. "It was like a dream come true!"

I would tease her on her phrasing, but seeing how happy she is... I really don't want to ruin it.

"Aw, that's wonderful." Hanako coos. "Now you just have to pass your exam like Hasumi told you to."

"I know that! I'm gonna ace the next one for sure. Just like an elite would!" Koharu declares.

"I know ya will." I nod.

"I had better study harder so you don't leave me behind." The busty girl says.

"It's getting pretty late, everyone." Hifumi interjects. "We should get to sleep soon or else studying will be hard tomorrow." The other girls nod in agreement. "Then, good night, everyone. You too, Sensei."

"Back at ya. You all did a great job today, you've earned a nice rest." I say with a smile as I walk back down the hall.

I plopped in bed soon after, instantly falling asleep.

—————

"You're late!" Azusa accuses as Hifumi enters the dining room.

"Y-You're the one who's early." Hifumi points out.

"I began studying before sunrise and then quizzed myself on what I studied." The silverette explains.

"Wow, you're really motivated, huh?" Hanako says.

"Naturally. Today will be another mock exam, isn't that right?" Azusa asks.

"Yeah, that's true." Hifumi nods. "So that's what you've been preparing for?"

"Yes. Our next official exam is two days away and I don't want to hold us back." Azusa declares. "I WILL pass today!"

"Geez. You almost never get this fired up." Koharu says, rubbing her eyes a bit.

"I repeatedly covered material expected to be in the test. I left no stone unturned." The silverette says.

"W-Well, you're not going to do better than me!" The tiny girl declares. "I'll show you the elite power of the Justice Task Force!"

"That's the spirit. I'll show you what I've got this time too." Hanako adds.

"Looks like you're all ready." Their Sensei muses, stepping out of the kitchen.

"In that case, let's jump right into the next mock exam!" Hifumi suggests.

"After breakfast." The man chides.