Chapter 15 - A Battle of Wills

...

I rushed to Abydos the next morning, after Ayane texted me about an urgent problem.

I truly hoped it had nothing to do with Hoshino, but when I entered the Foreclosure Task Force club room, I only saw four girls.

Four, very sad girls.

Ayane wordlessly handed me a club resignation notice, an academy dropout notice, and a letter. I opened the letter and read the first of three papers.

To the Foreclosure Task Force,

Forgive me for doing this with a letter. It felt more old-fashioned this way, which suits me perfectly.

There's something I've been keeping from you.

A recruiter has been coming after me for a while now. Become a Kaiser PMC mercenary for life in exchange for Abydos' debt being paid off. That's the long and short of the terms.

Not too bad a deal, eh? They must value the skills of a wily old veteran like me.

I'll take care of the debt somehow. Maybe not all of it, but I should be able to lighten the burden on you guys.

I know I talked a big game at the black market. I'm sorry I couldn't keep my word.

And the Foreclosure Task Force will be fine. I'll have to leave Abydos and Kivotos all together, but it doesn't matter. This is what I get for being a stubborn old mule.

Let me take responsibility, as the final member of Abydos' Student Council.

So this is goodbye.

'Oh, Hoshino, you dummy...'

There was also a separate letter, written to me.

To Sensei,

To be honest, I've never liked adults. I didn't think they could be trusted.

Ever since I heard that Shiroko had to lead you here, I couldn't help but think "Damn. He must be useless." Heh. Am I wrong?

But in the end, you turned out to be... Well, you know. Besides, some things are better left unsaid, aren't they?

Sensei. I know it's selfish to ask, but there's a request I'd like to make. Shiroko is a good girl at heart, but she can be a loose cannon if you take your eyes off of her.

So if she stumbles, I want you to be there to catch her. Okay?

Please.

'Of course.'

Looking at the final letter...

To all of you,

Please look after our school.

It's just a desert now, but this is the only place left that has any meaning for me.

Also, if we ever end up facing each other as enemies...

Don't hesitate to destroy my halo. Please.

I put down the letters and hold a hand to my face as my other hand holds myself up via the table.

"What the hell...?" Serika says, quietly, before raising her volume. "After talking all high and mighty?! She's the one giving up just because the going got tough! Does she think I'll let her get away with this?"

Ignoring their venting, I look over the resignation papers. She signed them all perfectly.

"We have to think about where Hoshino is. Rescuing her is our top priority." Shiroko says, resolutely. "I'll go by myself if I have to. In fact, if the task force won't allow it, then..."