Chapter 23 - Momoyodou Event: Epilogue

...

And so, Date Meowru, the merchant guild president of the Hyakkiyako shopping district, had his batshit insane plan foiled.

When he was arrested, he was quoted saying "And I would've gotten away with it! If it weren't for you meddling kids and that damn ninja!"

I laughed harder at that than I have in years, no joke.

Any Mouryo left hiding ran as fast as they could. Well, most of them anyway.

The Inner Discipline Club have been weeding them out.

As for me, I kept helping the Festival Operations Department, even throughout the next day.

Speaking of the next day...

—————

"Okay. We're off to prepare for the grand finale." Shizuko says as we stand in a, thankfully, not-so-crowded street of Hyakkiyako, the day after the whole mess with the Mouryo.

"Make sure you find a good spot to watch the show from, Boss!" Pina says, happily.

"Will do. Good luck out there, you two." I say with a smile.

I then return to the crowds, heading for a specific spot.

Unfortunately, a lot of people had that same idea.

—————

By the time I reached my destination, the observation deck Izuna took me to, there were hordes of people there.

"Dammit..." I scoff, pushing my way through. Suddenly, I spotted a familiar face. It was Izuna, being squashed just like I was.

"Th-There are so many people! Izuna can barely breathe!" She says, being squished and squashed.

I walk towards her and, upon finding an opening in the crowd, grab Izuna's hand. "Wha?!" She gasps as I pull her to me. She ends up grabbing a hold on my torso, before looking up at me. "...Sensei?! I-I mean, Aruji-dono?"

"Surprise!" I say, with a smile.

Realizing it was, indeed me, Izuna's grasp on my body tightened as she hugs me with a big smile. She then looks back up at me. "Izuna has saved a seat for you, Aruji-dono! But Izuna didn't expect the crowd to get so big while she was waiting for you!" She shouts, upset. "Wh-What now? There are so many people that we can't even get close to the seats!"

"Calm down, Izuna." I say, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Why don't we just stay here? We've still got a pretty good view."

Izuna looks surprised. "Um, sure!" She says with a giggle.

Suddenly, we hear it. A firework being launched.

"Oh, look. It's starting." Izuna says as everyone here, as one, looks out at the night sky and the massive sakura tree which casts its shadow over all of Hyakkiyako.

Suddenly, flashes of color appear in the dark sky.

Green. Red. Blue. Pink. Yellow. Orange. God knows how many more.

It's a breathtaking sight for everyone.

"Whoa... Amazing!" The fox girl lets out in awe.
I myself can't do much more than stare dumbly.

When was the last time I even saw fireworks...?

Suddenly, and perhaps unconsciously, Izuna wrapped her arms around one of mine. I looked down to her, yet her gaze was still transfixed on the colors in the sky.

The two of us stared at the fireworks for what felt like an eternity. The crowds around us dissolve into non-existence, non-importance.
After a period of time, Izuna speaks up, a silly grin on her face. "It feels so nice to enjoy something together, Aruji-dono."

"Yeah. Doing stuff with friends and the like is always nice." I agree.

"Um..." Izuna begins, causing me to look down to her. She now has a nervous expression on her face. "Izuna is sorry for... for causing so much trouble earlier. Izuna just, um..."

"Don't worry, I get it." I say, as she looks up at me, surprised. "But you've got nothin' to apologize for. You were just being you."

"B-But..." She tries to deny.

"Izuna." I say seriously, causing her gold eyes to meet mine. "I'm your Sensei. I'll always forgive you, dummy." I say with a grin.

She makes a sad smile on her face. "Sensei... even after everything, you still...?"

"Yup." I say.

The ninja girl looks thoughtful for a moment, before a silly grin breaks out on her face, along with a cute giggle. "That's right! Izuna made a vow to her Aruji-dono! We're ninja comrades-in-arms! Because Aruji-dono is the biggest supporter of Izuna's dream! Izuna will remain loyal to her Aruji-dono forever!"

She... She really just said she'd be loyal to me... forever...?

She won't ever...

...

Wordlessly, I pull my arm from her grasp and wrap it around her body, pulling her close. "A-Aruji-dono?!" She shrieks, with a crimson blush on her face.

"Thank you, Izuna." I say softly. "You don't know how much that means to me."

She gasps quietly, before wrapping her arms around me in a hug once more. "Izuna is... Izuna is looking forward to what the future holds for us! And Izuna promises to keep training so she can uphold her vow! Nin nin!" She says, looking up at me, a bright smile on her face, illuminated by the colors, still flying high in the sky.

I say nothing, but I do offer a genuine smile in return, as we go back to watching the fireworks.

—————

The next day, before going back to Schale, I looked through the clubs at Hyakkiyako, and found something interesting.

After telling Izuna about it, we stood in a hallway, in front of a door labelled 'Ninjutsu Research Club club room.' Another piece of paper was below it, which read 'No solicitors! Recruiting applicants!'

"THIS is what you wanted to show Izuna?" The fox girl asks.

"Yup, look." I point to the door.

"Ninjutsu... Research CLUB?!" She asks, slowly getting louder.

"Thought you might be interested in it." I say, as Izuna glomps me with a tight hug.

"Thank you, Aruji-dono!" She says happily.

"I didn't do nothin' but lead you here." I wave her praise off, as she lets go of me.

"Maybe Izuna could sharpen her ninja skills if she trained here." She says, thoughtful, before turning back to me. "I'll give it a shot!" She says.

I smile. "Good luck, and remember to stop by Schale anytime, Izuna."

She nods with a bright smile, before entering the club room.

I walk back down the halls, a pleased smile on my face, and a nice feeling in my heart.

—————

CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL COMMOTION: END

—————

AN

A very short chapter, merely setting up for the next Down Time chapters, and closing off this event arc.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, and look forward to the next!