Chapter 63 - A Request: Spec Ops

...

The northernmost area of Kivotos is a frozen hellscape. It may be part of the Red Winter district, but there are virtually no buildings for miles. Only animals, plants...

And two, rather unlucky girls.

The blonde, Nodoka, growls, as she attempts to wrestle a rotten pillar from an old building. "Ugh. Why won't it come out?! I'm so... darn close!"

As she's focused on that, she doesn't hear her mint haired friend, Shigure, walk up with two cups, filled with liquid. "Nodoka, I brought you some hot cocoa."

"Oh, Shigure." Nodoka greets. "I was just thinking about a hot drink to warm up my frozen hands and feet!" She says, happily, taking a cup from her friend's hands. "Thanks!" She holds the mug tightly as she takes a sip of the warm liquid, steam rising from the cup. "I thought my hands were gonna freeze off. The sweet, sweet warmth of cocoa spreading through my body..." She moans.

"It's quite nice, isn't it?" Shigure asks, taking a sip of her drink.

"It reminds me of our blissful lives at the main institute." The blonde says, nostalgic. "Remember when we could have hot cocoa whenever we wanted? When will we be able to return to the main building?"

"You worry too much." The mint haired girl points out. "President Cherino lifted our suspension at the last festival, remember? Just be patient, she'll come get us eventually."

"No! I won't be!" Nodoka shouts. "It's been weeks! Weeks, I say!" She then growls, just thinking about the white haired loli. "I bet that arrogant shorty doesn't even remember we exist! I-I be she's eating pudding in the lap of luxury right now! With unlimited cocoa! I was obviously too nice to her the last time she was here. Next time, I'm really gonna get her..."

"I'm going to resist the urge to point out you're the one who lost last time..." Shigure says, smirking. "And Sensei's probably already making sure she does something about it."

"Ah, Sensei~" Nodoka moans. "He's always so helpful!"

The mint haired girl chuckles at her best friend's antics. "Anyway, what are you doing out here, besides freezing to death?"

"I'm glad you asked." Nodoka says. "I was just pulling out these rotten pillars. We're running out of wood for campfires and the snow's piling up. So, I figured I could kill two birds with one stone: clean up a little and get us some firewood!" She explains, a bit proud of her idea.

"You want me to help?" Shigure offers.

"Yes! We can combine our strengths to pull out the pillar!" The blonde says, excited to achieve her goal.

Sure enough, the two girls grab a hold of the pillar, having set down their cocoa. "Okay, pull with me on three! One, two... THREE!"

Unfortunately for them, the pillar doesn't move.

Even more unfortunate for them, the ground shifts a bit.

But the most unfortunate thing that happens to them, is that an explosion knocks them off of their feet.

BOOOOM

""Ah!"" The girls shout, falling onto their butts.

"What in the heck was that?!" Nodoka shrieks. "A bomb? On my god, no, it's a giant mole! Shigure, hold me! We're done for!"

"I'll hold you if you want, but there are no giant moles in these areas." Shigure points out.

"So there are areas with them?!" The blonde gasps. "That means it WAS a bomb! We're under attack!"

"If you'd calm down and use your eyes, you'd see what it is." Shigure says, deadpan, pointing upward.

Nodoka follows her friend's finger and gasps as she witnesses a massive amount of water, shooting out from the ground. "Wh-What is this?! Mother nature is attacking us!"