Chapter 24 - Down Time VII

...

A few days after returning to work, following the mess at the Hyakkiyako Cherry Blossom Festival, I woke up to see a text from Izuna.

I haven't been able to sleep lately because I'm so worried.

What about? Anything I can do to help?

I knew I could count on you!

You're always there when I need you!

...Wait, she speaks in third-person, but texts in first-person? What the hell, Izuna?

But it's okay. I already got it taken care of.

...Huh? You did?

Yes! My goal is to become a ninja!

So taking action is more important than sleeping!

I can do it! Nin nin!

No, sleep is VERY important.

Make sure to get enough rest, so you can do ninja stuff with all your energy.

Ah! That's a good point!

Chuckling at the ninja girl's antics, I get out of bed, and get ready for the day.

—————

I walk down the streets near Schale, going to do some errands while it's still early.

As I do, I see Izuna in the corner of my vision.
Ignoring it, I just keep walking.

—————

A few minutes later, I see her shuffling around, just beyond my vision.

That is, until she trips. "Wh-Whoa!"

Knowing she's trying to be sneaky, I ignore her.

I hear her gasp and scramble back to hiding.

I just chuckle to myself.

—————

After buying groceries, I take a shortcut through a suburban area.

Once more, I catch Izuna shuffling in the corner of my eye.

Out of nowhere, a stray cat meows at her.

"Sh-Shh! Bad kitty! Shhh!" She turns and shushes the cat. Ignoring all secrecy, I watch her interact with the cat.

"I'm gonna get caught if you meow at me like that!" She says quietly, as the cat just meows again. "Hmm. Maybe you can't understand me because you're a cat? I wonder if there's a ninja art for communicating with animals..." She asks herself, no longer being quiet.

She then moves closer to the cat and meows at it, to which it meows back.

"You really didn't get that?!" She shouts. "D-Darn it! That leaves me with no other choice! Izuna's emergency evasion technique!" She says, throwing something down. Is that a-

BOOM

A quiet explosion rings out as a plume of smoke erupts from the smoke bomb she threw on the ground. The sound scares the cat off. "Phew. I bet I won't get caught now!" She says, happily and loudly.

I stare at the proud Izuna, as I decide to mess with her by calling her. Sure enough, her phone begins to ring.

She shrieks. "Gah! My phone!" She takes it out from her pocket and fumbles with it. "H-How do I turn it off?!" After some fiddling, it turns off. "What is going on...?!" She trails off, annoyed and confused. She darts from the smoke behind a nearby bush, as the smoke fully dissipates. She sighs in relief. "That was close."