Chapter 42 - Robot Interrogation

...

After Hibiki finished working on Aris' new 'Sword of Light', we went back to the Game Development Department room.

Momoi, with a happy expression, flops down onto a beanbag with a laugh. "Now that all the hard stuff is out of the way, we can kick back and play games, right? We've got a raid today. Are you ready, Aris?"

Aris, who's looking at a screen, replies. "Aris understands the strategy. Our gear is ready, and Aris posted the announcement. 'Beginners welcome. Four man Burning Forest Expedition. Healers slash DPS needed'. Ah. Peroro32 joined."

Fifty bucks that's Hifumi, I think to myself with a quiet chuckle as I sit down.

"Can we really afford to take it easy?" Midori asks, worried, before turning to her twin. "Did you talk to Yuuka and tell her we have four members now?"

" 'Course I did. She said she'll come this afternoon to screen Aris' eligibility." The pink twin says, waving her twin's concerns off, but turns her attention back to the game. "Oh! Aris! The boss is about to do its AOE breath attack! Careful or we'll get wiped!"

"Evasive maneuvers! Casting protection magic." Aris replies. I swear, she's taken to games like a fish to water.

"We're in danger in real life too!" The green twin snaps. "Screening her eligibility?! What does that even mean?!" She shouts, before accosting her twin. "The survival of our club is on the line, and you're raiding in an MMO!"

"Chillax, Midori. Aris is totally ready." Momoi replies, casually.

"Really?" I ask.

"Really." The pink twin replies.

"Okay, then. Pretend I'm Yuuka for a sec, Aris. Introduce yourself to me." I challenge, testing the girls.

"Okay, Aris! Do your introduction!" Momoi says to the robot girl as they pause the game.

Aris clears her throat. "I am known as Aris the Blue Eyes." The fucking what? "A dwarven lancer wielding the Flame Dragon Fang gunlance. I hail from the Steel Mountains, but lost my family at an early age due to a demon attack-"

"No, not your game character! I mean you, yourself, Aris!" Momoi chides.

"Oh, understood." Aris says. "Hello. My name is Tendou Aris." Tendou? When'd they decide on that? "I am a first-year here at the Millennium School. I recently transferred, but missed registration, so I will not be starting my classes until next month. Even though I am not in any classes yet, I was told I could still join a club, so I ended up joining the Game Development Department."

Huh... so she can switch from referring to herself in third-person?

Midori lets out a sound in awe. "That was actually pretty good."

"Not bad, Aris. Not bad." I say with a smile.

"My role in the Game Development Department is to tank and deal light-type melee damage-" Aris starts.

"You're a programmer!" Momoi interjects.

"R-Right! Programming..." Aris corrects. "I learned to code in JABA before I ever spoke my first word..."

"And it's falling apart." I say, putting my head in my hand.

"Are we going to make it through this...?" Midori asks worried.

As I begin to answer the question, a new voice pipes up.

"...There's no way this is true."

My head snaps to the door, where Yuuka is standing. "There's no way someone would join the Game Development Department now!" She accuses.