Chapter 36: Meetings With The Judge

Amelia parked her car, took sleeping Olivia out and walked in the building. The girl was tired and probably feeling bad because she hadn't taken her medicine yet because it would knock her out and she had to talk to the judge so Amelia decided to give it to Olivia after they were done there.
She walked in the waiting room of Judge Richardson's office and went to talk to the secretary.
"Hi. I have a meeting scheduled for 10 and 11" Amelia said.
"Amelia Shepherd?" The secretary asked.
"Yes" Amelia said.
"He'll call you in soon. You can sit down if you like" the lady said and Amelia sat down with sleeping Olivia on her lap.
She decided to wake the girl.
"Olivia. Hey honey. Wake up" she told the girl who moved a little. "Olivia" she said on the child's ear and Olivia opened her eyes. "Hi" Amelia said smiling and Olivia hugged her. "Do you feel okay?" Amelia asked.
"My head hurts a little bit" the girl said taking her blanket to her face.
"Look we're going to go talk to the judge soon, okay?" Amelia said.
"Uhum" Olivia said closing her eyes again.
"Hey don't sleep again. We're next. Hey look, they have toys. Do you wanna play?" Amelia said.
"No" Olivia answered.
"Miss Shepherd" the secretary called her.
"Yes?" Amelia said.
"He wants to see you in private while Olivia talks to the psychologist. Is that okay?" she said looking at Olivia.
"Sure" Amelia said.
"Follow Me." The secretary said. They went through a door, which Amelia had thought was the judge's office but it wasn't. It led to a hallway with three more doors.
"This one is Dr. Moore. She'll talk to Olivia while you talk to him. That was on the papers right?" The secretary said.
"Yes, but it didn't say she had to see the psychologist today." Amelia said.
"Well, it's usually on the same day. I'm sorry it wasn't written there"
"It's alright." Amelia said knowing it didn't really matter the day and actually having everything done sooner could mean getting the adoption papers sooner.
The secretary opened Dr. Moore's office door.
"Come on in." The woman, blue eyed brunette, around 45, said.
"Oli. I'll talk to the judge now, okay? And you'll stay here with Dr. Moore" Amelia said. "Do you remember I told you they would ask you a couple of questions? It's just that, okay?" Amelia said and Olivia held her tight.
"It's okay honey. I'm not going anywhere. Look" Amelia said turning to another one of the doors. "I'm going to be right there. Okay? Right beside your door" she said.
"Hi" Dr. Moore said coming close to Amelia.
"Hi" Amelia said looking sorry that the child didn't wan to let go of her.
"Hi Olivia" D. Moore said smiling but Olivia was looking at the other side.
"Hey do you want to play for a while? Just so she can go see Mister Richardson?" Moore said.
"I wanna stay with you" Olivia said tightening her hug.
"I have to talk to him for little while so we can go home. Remember we talked about this?" Amelia said.
"I wanna stay with you" Olivia said again but this time she sounded like she was about to cry.
"Look what I bought." Amelia said taking her work tag out of her jacket pocket. "How about if you hold that for me huh?" Amelia asked. Olivia knew that Amelia needed that to work and she knew the woman would go back for that. The girl took it, hugged Amelia again and started silently crying. Everyone could hear her sniffing.
"I'm sorry. She was sleeping when we got here and we just left the hospital. She had to take her stitches out and get shots for school so she's a little.." Amelia said.
"It's okay" Moore said.
"Baby it won't take too long. And I promise I'm not leaving you here, alright?" Amelia said.
"Okay" Olivia said crying.
Dr. Moore got close to pick the girl.
"I'll be right back" Amelia said kissing Olivia's cheek and then handing the girl to the woman. As she left the room Olivia just bursted into more tears. The secretary closed the door and Amelia could still hear the little girl sobbing.
"Don't worry. She'll be okay" the secretary said and walked Amelia to the judge's office.

GREYSGREYSGREYSGREYSGREYSGREYS

- Dr. Moore's office

The doctor walked around her office trying to make the 4 year-old quiet down but without success. She sat in one of the couches and placed the girl on her lap.
"Olivia it's okay. You don't have to cry. She'll be right back" she said but Liv kept crying. The doctor put Olivia's head on her chest and laid the girl on her arms.
"You were sleeping right?" She said but Olivia didn't answer. "You can go back to sleep. It's okay. She'll be right back" doctor Moore said. She had already seen everything she would have asked the girl. She could see there wouldn't be a better person for this child to be with than the one that just left the room.
"I don't wanna sleep without Melia" Olivia cried.
"Oh but she'll be right back" Moore said. "Look at me sweetie" she said and Olivia looked at her. "Amelia is not going anywhere"
"But I don't wanna sleep" Olivia said.
"You don't have to. But you gotta calm down or you're going to be sick" Moore said putting some hair behind Olivia's ear.
"My head hurts" the little girl said.
"See? It's because you're crying so much" the doctor said. "Do you like movies? Why don't we watch a movie while we wait for her?"
"Okay" Olivia said wiping her face and hugging her blanket.
The doctor put her down on the couch and went to set up the film.
"Do you like 'The Princess and The Frog'?" Moore asked and Olivia nodded yes. The woman put it on and sat next to the girl.