37.

it had only been two months since hoseok had left them. but he had regretted leaving them after the second day. he felt like there was a void in his body, something was supposed to be there. and he wasn't sure if it was the excitement he had missed or the jolly relationship he used to have with sub-hi; and he felt quite awkward because all these possible theories that his friends talked about and it damaged his image of her.

but he was forcing himself to think that leaving the group was for the best. he believed sun-hi more than he had believed them. the two had known each other for over a decade. almost nothing could break their friendship. not until people started to see them as a couple and it made him feel uncomfortable. "basically incest" was what he thought. he thought of sun-hi no more than a sister and to add onto that. he was still not over lisa who looked to be doing fine without his presence.

during their breaks, when they'd walk around conversing. the 'couple' would sometimes pass the table where they all used to hang around and eat at. marking it as their territory. now he didn't belong to that island anymore, he was elsewhere, having less fun.

the group also missed hoseok, but they had a little hope for him to come back to them. but either way, sun-hi would finally open up and confess to hoseok. confusing him and then getting himself into a problem.

and that's what exactly happened.

[...]

"hey hoseok"

"yeah?"

they were walking home together after sun-hi had suggested it. since they hadn't walked with each other outside of school for a while.

"you know the rumours?"

"which one? we have quite a lot, to be honest."

he chuckles and she giggles along.

"the one how... about us."

sun-hi says and stops her tracks while fiddling with the skin around her nails.

"us? the one how people see us as a couple?"

"yeah... about that–"

she starts pursing her lips.

"are you feeling uncomfortable with it? i can tell everyone that we're not–"

"nor, it's not that. it's actually..."

there was a long anticipated pause. hoseok eager and curious to know what she was about to say.

"since... since everyone is basically saying that we're dating..."

oh, wait. it can't be. is sun-hi having feelings for me?

"do you want to... make it official?"

wait. sun-hi? in love with me? me? hoseok. who sees her as a sister. no. that's wrong. that's incest. no.

"no."

"p-pardon?"

she retorts as fast as she lifts her head. confused to why he would reject her when she should be the only candidate.

"no. i don't want to date you. i'm sorry. i appreciate your feelings. but i can't accept them because i see you as my sister rather than my friend. i'm sorry sun-hi"