Things You've Seen Pt. 2

The first thing Percy was aware of was voices.  His brain was still too slow to process what the voices said, but he thought he heard Annabeth's voice.

"Why hasn't he woken up yet?  It's been two days."  That was definitely Annabeth.  Who was she talking about?

"The body is powerful and fragile at the same time, Annabeth.  It needs time to heal itself."  A voice responded.  Will Solace maybe?

More of Percy's senses came to him and he started to smell the heavy antiseptic that was a tell tale sign of the infirmary.  Why was he in the infirmary?  Percy groaned, although he wasn't sure if he actually made an outward noise.  Memories came back to him in bits and pieces.  The voice, falling asleep in the Poseidon cabin, feeling sick, then nothing.  Percy opened his eyes.

"Are you sure there isn't anything you can do?"  Annabeth pleaded.

"I promise Annabeth, if there was something I could do I would-" 

Annabeth and Will stopped arguing as they heard Percy's bed squeak.

"Oh my gods! Seaweed Brain you're awake!"  Annabeth looked like she was fighting the urge to tackle Percy.

"What happened?"  Percy rasped.  He surprised himself with how rough his own voice sounded.

"Why does it feel like I've been used as Cerberus' chew toy?"

Annabeth sat down on the edge of Percy's bed and grasped his hand.  Rather than explain, she looked to Will.

"The medical answer is that you have the flu, you were severely dehydrated, and were suffering from sleep deprivation."

"Sleep deprivation?"

"How many hours of sleep would you say you've gotten in the past week?"  Asked Will.

"Six hours."  Percy answered while looking down at the blanket covering his lap.

"Six hours a night?"  Will looked slightly confused.

"Six hours in total."

Annabeth let out small gasp.

"Why wouldn't you tell someone about this Percy?"  Annabeth's eyes had gone stormy grey again.

"I-I don't know."  The answer was barely a whisper.

"Annabeth, could you give us a minute?"  Will asked gently.

Annabeth got up and walked out of the room without another word.  Will sat down on the edge of Percy's bed.

"Is it nightmares?"

"Yeah.  How'd you guess."

"I'm dating Nico Di Angelo.  He hasn't told me everything, but I know enough to know that no mortal should ever lay eyes on Tartarus."

"You have to sleep Percy."

"I can't.  I see it every time I close my eyes."

"I can't begin to imagine what you must have seen down there, but I do know that your body will not last without sleep.  It simply isn't possible."

"How do I sleep then? I'll try anything."  Percy looked truly desperate, which he was.

"When Nico's nightmares got really bad, the Hypnos cabin cast a charm to protect his dreams.  They did something so that if he ever starts to dream of Tartarus or the thing's he saw there, he's taken to his best memory.  It's been months since he's had a nightmare.  I'll ask if they can do the same for you."

"Thanks Will."

"There was something else I wanted to talk to you about."  Will said seriously.