Mud

Hello my loves, GalaxyTheSpirit asked for some Percy drowning whump and, boy, did my imagination go wild with this one! Also, I don't remember if Percy's whole almost drowning thing was ever covered between him and Annabeth, so just pretend that no one ever told her. As always, let me know what you think in the comments and send any requests over to my inbox!<3

P.S. Someone get these babies some therapy!! 

The sound reminded Annabeth of when she was little and she would sit and pull at the little doorstop spring in her father's office. He always used to chide her about it, but she, being five, found it hilarious. This was decidedly not hilarious.

She and Percy were skating out on the lake; the freezing winds coming off of the Sound had allowed the lake to freeze for the last few weeks. It had been slightly warmer today, and Annabeth had briefly wondered if the lake might be unstable, but Percy's puppy dog eyes had pushed the thought to the back of her mind.

Annabeth had moved off of the ice, her ankle hurting from overuse and the cold, and was sitting on a tree stump close to the shore and not paying much attention when she'd heard that odd sound, a high pitched fwubwubwubwubccrrreaakkk. Her head jerked up, eyes automatically on the lookout for Percy. She found him on the far side of the lake, frozen. Even from here, she could see the terror in his eyes. Slowly, Annabeth stood up, heart in her throat.

"Percy? You okay?" Annabeth called.

"Peachy." He called back, voice wavering.

"Just, just stay calm! Can you get to shore?" She called again, taking a few steps towards the ice, her mind going a mile a minute.

Annabeth watched at Percy inched forward on his skates, only to be met with more creaking and groaning from the ice.

"N-no" Percy stammered, watching in horror as his skates created spiderwebs in the ice, briefly remembering how Annabeth had worried about the ice being too thin to skate on. "Even if I could move, I'm too far from the shore!"

"Percy, please!" Annabeth cried, cold sweat on her forehead. "I'm going to try to get around to you!"

"O-okay!" Percy stammered.

Annabeth started walking around the lake, the distance between them seeming to grow exponentially. Her eyes flickered to the thick winter coat Percy had insisted it wasn't cold enough for for the briefest second, and that's how she missed the thick branch in her path. She fell hard, pain shooting down through her bad ankle. She lay there for a moment, dazed by the fall and the pain. Percy's voice brought her back into the moment.

"Annabeth! Are you-" The ice groaned as Percy moved without thinking. There was a sharp crack—almost like that time he'd broken his mom's antique mirror by practicing skateboarding tricks in the house, definitely not one of his finer moments— then a moment where everything seemed to go still.

Then the bottom fell out, literally.

"PERCY!" Annabeth screamed, pushing herself back up and running/hobbling towards where he'd been standing a moment ago.

Darkness and mind numbing cold and his lungs burning, those were the only things Percy's brain seemed to be processing. Breathe! He told himself, but breathing was like swallowing mud.

Mud.

Cold.

Drowning.

He was drowning!

Percy couldn't breathe. Suddenly, he was back in Alaska, in the swamp, and he couldn't breathe, and he was going to drown.

Something in him told him to struggle, go up, do something! So, Percy pushed through the mud of the swamp and did just that, he moved up, but up was getting darker and, which didn't make much sense.