Someday

Hello my loves! I got a request for Piper telling Reyna about the events of TBM and I could not be happier to oblige! Ya girl is always a sucker for some angst! As always, let me know what you think in the comments and slide into my DMs with any prompts or ideas! Read on my lovelies and try not to get too many tears on your computers! Also, this isn't going to be entirely by the book since I don't actually have my book with me at the moment to fact check.

**SPOILER WARNING FOR THE BURNING MAZE**

***SERIOUSLY, DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ TRIALS OF APOLLO THE BURNING MAZE!!!!!***

Piper woke up and it was a split second before she remembered. There were a blissful few seconds when everything was normal again, when everything was good again. Then it hit her like a wall of ice. Jason. One word was all it took to make Piper wish she hadn't woken up at all. Part of her still didn't believe it was real. She half expected Jason to walk through the door any second now, even though she had seen his coffin loaded on to a plane. There was just something so final about it, something so permanent. Piper couldn't make her mind accept it.

Piper had convinced her dad to stay in California for an extra day before they left for their new life. They had already been kicked out of their house, but Piper's dad still had friends in high places and they had been able to stay in the city. 

Honestly, Piper had wanted to get out of California as fast as humanly possible. She wanted as far away from this living nightmare as she could get, but one thought kept her planted where she was. Reyna. Thankfully, since most demigods refrained from cellphones, news tended to travel pretty slow. This was good. Reyna needed to hear this from a friend, at least Piper was pretty sure they were friends.

"Pipes-er-Piper, are you ready to go?" Tristan Mclean knocked on the door to the guest room Piper was staying in. 

Piper bit her lip at the nickname. She wasn't too fond of it anymore.

"I'll be ready in just a minute dad." Piper called through the door.

Piper went to the en suite bathroom and looked at herself in the mirror. She barely recognized the person staring back at her. Piper was still getting used to her newly short hair, since most of the length had been too damaged from the heat and fire in the maze. She had lost weight, she had barely been able to eat for the past few days and there were dark circles under her eyes either from crying or lack of sleep, Piper honestly wasn't sure anymore. She quickly brushed through her hair and brushed her teeth before pulling on a pair of Nike shorts and a camp Half-Blood t-shirt and her sneakers. She packed the few belongings that she'd managed to snag from the moving truck into a backpack and opened the bedroom door.

Her dad was waiting in the hallway just outside Piper's borrowed room. He always seemed to be within arms reach nowadays; waiting for Piper to inevitably fall apart, even though he'd never admit it.

"All set?"

"Yeah."

"Are you hungry?" Piper's dad asked, already knowing the answer.

"Not really." Piper shrugged.

They walked silently out of the house and to one of the few possessions Tristan had held onto through everything, an old pickup that he had fixed up with his dad. Piper tossed her backpack into the bed of the truck and pulled herself into the passenger seat. Her dad started the truck and put his hands on the gear shift, but didn't put it in drive.

"Are you sure you can do this Piper?" He sighed.

"They have to hear it from me." Piper said around the lump in her throat.