The Docks

Oh, skibum4life, ask and you shall receive. Also, now I'm sad. Sorry for typos, this was written on my phone.

Annabeth watched the sunset over the Sound, her toes just touching the lapping waves. She spent a lot of time here nowadays, not because she wanted to, really part of her hated the docks now.

December 14th.

That was the last time anyone had seen Percy Jackson. That was the last time she'd seen Percy Jackson. They'd spent the night on the dock, away from the rest of their friends, a rare moment to themselves, away from prophecies and praises of the masses. They were the last ones up, the large campfire down to a few orange embers and the Big House dark, besides a single light that told them that Chiron was still awake. He'd walked her back to her cabin and left her with a quick peck on the cheek and a smile. Annabeth hadn't said anything as she'd watched his silhouette fade away.

Nothing. She'd said nothing. She hadn't even said goodbye. She'd never gotten to say goodbye.

By the next afternoon, it had become apparent that Percy was missing. Annabeth had been the one to piece it together, because of course she had.

Then came the search and telling Sally and weeks of waiting for him to come back saying it had all been a joke or a misunderstanding like his time on Calypso's island. Christmas had come and gone, then New Years, then Valentine's Day and it began to feel less like a harsh joke and more of a cruel reality. He was really gone. Vanished.

And she'd never gotten to say goodbye.

Annabeth had lost count of how many times she'd gone back through that night, looking for a sign, just something that she hadn't thought of before that might give them any clue as to where Percy was. She looked out into the waves and let herself be pulled into her memory.

They were standing just outside the Athena Cabin, far enough away that her siblings would really have to work to eavesdrop. Percy stood close to her, using the cold as an excuse, not that he needed one.

"I had a good time tonight." He smiled, gently pushing back a piece of Annabeth's hair that had fallen from her beanie.

"We didn't do anything, Seaweed Brain." Annabeth laughed lightly, smirking.

"You know what I mean." Percy breathed.

"Yeah, I do know what you mean." She huffed, watching a white cloud of air rise between them.

"I think I'd better go." Percy's eyes flickered to the cabin behind them. "It looks like Malcolm is about to start flicking the lights on and off." He laughed nervously.

"I think you might be right." Annabeth rolled her eyes, feeling eyes on her.

"See you tomorrow, Wise Girl." Percy said, softly pressing a kiss to Annabeth's cold cheek before walking away.

He'd almost disappeared into the night before she found her voice.

"Percy?" She called.

"Hmm?" He turned around, curious.

"I almost forgot to say goodbye. Also, I love you and I just-I just wanted to make sure you knew that."

"I do. I love you, too." Percy called before disappearing completely.

Annabeth opened her eyes, coming back to the present.

She should have said goodbye, she could have. She could have said so many things, but she hadn't. It had felt too soon or too awkward or like maybe she wasn't allowed to say something like that yet.