Thank gods for step-dads

Hello again my lovelies! I received a request from for some sick Percy and some caring Paul from KeilaMarie102 and I had so much fun with this one! Sometimes I forget how much I like writing Percy, and I really like how Paul turned out for my first time writing him. Let me know what you think in the comments and feel free to shoot me a private message if you have any ideas or prompts! Read on my lovelies!

"Mom, do you really have to go?" Percy asked as he and Paul helped Sally pull her suitcase to the front door.

"What would I do without you boys?" Sally beamed at her two favorite men.

"I'll get these down to the car Sally. We should hurry if we want to get you to the airport in time for your flight."

"Okay, sweetie, you go ahead and I'll meet you down stairs in a few minutes."

Paul pecked Sally on the cheek, picked up her suitcase, and took it downstairs.

"It's only five days sweetie. It was part of the deal with my publisher that I go to this convention." Sally said as she went through her purse to make sure she had everything for the thousandth time.

"I know. I just-"

"I'll only be a few hours away in Vermont. Trust me; I don't like the idea of being away from you any more than you do. On the bright side, I think this will be good bonding time for you and Paul." Sally kissed Percy's forehead.

"Are you feeling okay? You feel warm."

"I'm fine mom, just tired."

"Okay then." Sally didn't look quite convinced, but looked down at her phone and pursed her lips. "I'm just a phone call away if either of you need me. I love you." Sally enveloped Percy in a bone-crushing hug and then she was gone.

Percy walked to the couch and flopped down on his stomach. He hated it when his mom had to go do promotions for her book. After everything that had happened, he hated being away from her, period.

"This will be good bonding time for you and Paul." Sally's words echoed in Percy's head. It wasn't that he didn't like Paul. Paul loved Sally and treated her like a queen, but since Percy was always off on quests or having his memories stolen, he and Paul had just never had the opportunity to bond like a typical step-father and step-son.

Percy yawned. He had been so tired for the last few days. Percy pulled his phone out of his jacket pocket. Leo had made the Seven phones that were untraceable by monsters so they could stay in contact with each other. No new text messages. He hadn't heard from Annabeth all day, but she was probably busy with her internship.

Eventually, Percy decided that there was nothing to do besides go to bed. He went to his bedroom and changed into his pajamas and a hoodie, the apartment was freezing. Percy looked over at his desk just before he laid down in bed and saw his unfinished math homework.

"I'll finish it tomorrow." Percy reasoned. Tonight, he was tired, cold, and his throat hurt. He would feel better in the morning.

THE NEXT MORNING

Percy was absolutely 100% not sick. Impossible. He was tired, it hurt to talk or breathe, and he was freezing in fifty degree weather. That didn't mean he was sick. If Percy was sick that would mean the nurse would send him home from school and he would be counted absent from classes that day. He had already missed so much school while dealing with Gaea and then Apollo, the principle had told Percy he was in danger of having to repeat the twelfth grade if he missed any more days. If Percy missed another day of school, he wouldn't have to worry about repeating the twelfth grade, because Annabeth would kill him.