Laurance

Emma watched me, still not sure if she could trust me. But, at least she wasn't killing me. Yet.

"Emma, listen. I can help you." She scoffed, leaning on her sword that was buried in the dirt point first.

"You already said that Brother. Tell me, are you just saying that to save your own skin, or do you have an actual plan?" Damn she was smart. I had forgotten about that. I simply ignored the question and started to speak the idea forming in my mind.

"Zane is trapped in that cell, yes?" She frowned, but she nodded all the same. "How badly do you want to set him free?" Her frown deepening, she glanced over at the cell, Zane watching her.

"He has kept me safe while I have been in the Nether. I would do anything to repay my debt." Biting my lip, I stared at him. Doesn't she realize that he's the reason she died? My anger towards him increased, but I pushed it aside. I couldn't let my anger overcome me, especially down here.

"I'm not exactly sure yet, but I'm positive that if we work together we can find a way to free him from this prison. And then, I-" I realized what I was saying and cursed myself. I had been so intent in saving myself that I hadn't even thought straight. And now I was talking about freeing Zane Ro'Meave, the reason all of our lives were in turmoil. I didn't think I could even list all of the people he had harmed. And now, I was going to set him free.

"And?" Her eyes gleamed, and I could tell that I had hooked her in. Sadly, I knew that there was no other way.

"And then I'll bring you to the portal." I mumbled, hating the words even as they slid from my lips. Emma's eyes lit up and she stood up straight.

"Zane? Do you think it will work?" There was a long moment of silence before he looked at me, eyes narrowed.

"I don't trust you Zvahl. But, if you promise you will do as you say, then yes." Emma stared at me, her gaze hardening.

"You heard him. Swear by something important to you."

"I swear by the lives of my friends that I will help you." I heard my own voice saying those words, and I hated myself more than ever. But I wasn't the only one who would hate me. Garroth, Katelyn, Aphmau. Oh Irene. Aphmau. She would never forgive me, no matter how hard I begged. But did I even care anymore?