Emma

Cadenza stumbled and fell to the snow covered ground with a loud thump. I scrambled over to her side, but was pulled away by one of Zane's men. Laurance was being held as well while Zane stalked forwards to see what had happened to her.

"Get up." He growled, and nudged her over with his shoe. She rolled over, and her eyes were shut and her breathing shallow. Cold hands gripped my heart as I realized that Zane had pushed her far past her limits, and now she didn't have the strength to continue.

Zane scoffed and turned around, looking at one of his cronies. I knew none of their names, and I didn't want to. The less I was associated with them, the better. "Leave her. Let's keep moving." Laurance's eyes widened, and I could see that he was about to burst of anger. So I stepped in before he could.

"You can't just leave her Zane." He turned to look at me, and for a moment I thought i saw something in his eyes. But it was gone in a moment.

"And why can't I?" It was my turn to scoff, turning to look at the man holding me away from my sister.

"Does he not think before he speaks?" Wisely, the man behind me didn't say anything, but his eyes flashed me a warning. Being the person I am, I ignored it. "You can't leave her, Zane Ro'maeve, for two reasons. One, what if someone has been tracking us and finds her in the middle of the road, still alive? She'll tell them everything and send people after you. And don't try and tell me no one could track us. We're a large group; it's not that hard." He rolled his eyes, but I knew that I was starting to make sense.

"Two, if Cadenza is dead, then what's to stop Laurance from attacking or fleeing? Nothing. All he would have to lose is his own life, and frankly, I don't think he cares too much anymore about even that." That caused Zane to laugh, but not for the reason I gave.

"What about you Emma? Don't you hate me? Wouldn't you run?" His tone of voice almost made me want to try, just to see him fail at catching me.

"Well, you see, that's the thing. During this whole escapade, I've realized that you have every right to do what you're doing. Revenge needs to be taken. In fact, I have decided that I will join you. Everyone in the world has done a wrong against me. They made me into what I am, and I won't let this slide. And, what better way than to join you?" Zane had rocked back into his heels, and I saw the gears spinning in his mind.

"Haven't I wronged you?" I sighed, before pulling the sword out of the closest man's sheath and leaping close enough to Zane so that the tip of the sword grazed his sleeve.

"You have most definitely wronged me more than anyone else in this entire damn world. But I need your help to deal with the others. Then maybe I can deal with you. Until then, I'll cooperate. We can sort out our differences later." He stared deep into my grey eyes before nodding slightly, obviously seeing truth there. Then the man I had stolen the sword from stepped forwards and snatched his sword back. I let him, keeping my gaze away from my family. I knew as soon as I looked at Cadenza, my heart would break because of what she had gone through. And if I looked at Laurance... I would be almost inclined to say the truth. The actual truth.