Katelyn

Song: Sad Song by We The Kings ft. Elena Coats

    I rested my head in Travis's lap, and slowly started to drift off to sleep. My head was killing me, pounding relentlessly against my skull. All I wanted to do was sleep.

    "She really likes you, doesn't she?" I heard an unknown voice. It was higher pitched than most men, but it made up for it in warmth and a gentle tone. The tone of the voice was so familiar, it reminded me of home. Back when things had been easier. Back when I still had my entire family.

    I shifted slightly, and Travis pulled me closer. I let out a small sigh and snuggled against him, soaking in his warmth against the coldness of the world outside. Then he chuckled slightly, and I felt the vibrations against my head.

    "You speak like she's a cat." There was a laugh from the strange man, and suddenly he felt less strange. That laugh, so soft and sweet and innocent, had been a part of my childhood, I know it. But how?

    "She can act like one. Love you one minute then extremely annoyed the next." Travis laughed along with him.

    "Don't talk about her unless she can defended herself." Donna called over from where I assumed Cadenza was. I frowned slightly, trying to block everyone out and go to sleep. Zoey giggled, sounding so carefree.

    "After all, how would Travis~Kun like it if Katelyn~Sama and Kawaii~Chan talked about how his voice gets really squeaky." I heard Travis scoff, but I knew he was grinning. 

    "Or if we were talking about how you never bothered to pick up a sword and become a guard." I could hear the sarcasm dripping from Thalia's voice.

    "Hey! What does this look like?" I heard a sword being drawn slightly, and heard a laugh from Thalia. Travis chuckled, and I knew that his gaze was on me.

    "Well..." I groaned and sat up, his hand still tight around mine.

    "All three of those things were right and I don't even know who the last person was." The women laughed and I heard Travis chuckle, his grip tightening.

    I looked over at where the unknown man had been standing and felt a rush of emotions again. Earlier, they had been so strong, so passionate, that I had passed out. I remembered that. And his soft blue eyes. Seeing those had brought back all the forgotten memories of my past.

    Mama, Dad, and Kacey were all sitting in the kitchen, eating breakfast. I yawned and joined them, hair falling in front of my face.

    "Morning sugarpea." Dad sang and I rolled my eyes at his antics. Mama gave me a hug from behind and kissed me on the forehead, and I leaned against her briefly.

    Kacey was on his feet and ran over to me to show something. "Look what I made!" Immediately my drowsiness faded away as I knelt next to him, looking at the drawing.

    "Wow! What is it?" He grinned, pointing towards at barely discernible words.

    "It's you and me in the fields!" I laughed, ruffling his hair and standing up.

    "It's beautiful Kace. Beautiful."

    "Kacey..." I whispered, staring at him with wonder, joy, and sorrow. My pounding head faded away, replaced instead by a pounding heart.

    "Katelyn!" He cried, and in an instant I was out of the bed and in his arms, feeling tears slipping down my cheeks.
I tried my best not to cry. I felt like crying was a weakness. It made you vulnerable and showed others that you could be brought down.

    "When you cry, it's not because you're weak. It's because you are stronger than everyone else. No one is perfect Katy. But when you cry, you admit that you are imperfect. And that makes you even stronger." Travis's voice rang in my mind. He said that to me when he had found me crying over my lost family.

    And now, here I was. Crying over my brother again, but this time, it was out of pure joy.

    "Kacey! Oh Kacey!" My face was buried in his chest, and tears dripped down my nose and chin and were soaked up by his coat.

   His face was buried in my hair, and I could tell that he was crying also by the way his back shook. My arms were wrapped tightly around him, and I never wanted to let go.