Alice

Song: Blood Red Roses by C21 FX

    The only thing I could focus on was the blood. At first, I thought Leona's fate had befallen Garroth. But then I realized that he had tripped and fallen backwards, lying stunned on the ground in front of Zane. His sword was lying a few feet away from him, too far away for him to get.

    Before Zane could strike his brother and take away Garroth from this world, Aphmau let out a scream and leapt in front of Zane, blocking Zane's stroke with her own sword. Katelyn, who must have come up next to Aphmau during the fight, was holding Alina, her eyes full of fire and hatred.

    "You won't take another!" Aphmau cried, slowly changing into her Irene form. Wings had sprouted from her back, and her eyes were white. "You took a good man from this world already! Garroth is too important to Phoenix Drop!" Their swords clashed constantly, back and forth in a onslaught of steel on steel.

    At first, we all held our breath. It seemed like Aphmau would win, fury powering her strength. But I saw that she was starting to falter, Zane slowly overcoming her. I felt a surge of fear rushing through me as I realized that as soon as Zane... killed... Aphmau, he would take out Garroth. Garroth couldn't move, couldn't get his sword. Two of Zane's men had their swords against his throat, and soon he would be dead, that much I knew.

    If Zane succeeded, even if someone killed him afterwards, nothing would be the same. Aphmau, she was Lady Irene. But she was also the heart of Phoenix Drop. She was their strength, their power, their love. Without her, the village I could now call Home would crumble. And Garroth. He would always protect this village, even with his life. He knew everyone's name and would always give them a smile or shake their hands, no matter how he was feeling. Phoenix Drop needed him.

    But they didn't need me.

    I started running down the hill, slowing when I reached Leona and Kiki. Kiki was still crying, brushing Leona's hair away from her face and rocking her in her arms. I placed a hand on Kiki's shoulder, and she looked up, eyes red.

    "She was the bravest person I know. If anyone deserves a second chance in life, it's her." Kiki bowed her head.

    "Thank you Alice." Her voice broke in pain. "I'll miss you." I took a step back, realizing that she knew exactly what I was planning. A lump rose in my throat, and I couldn't say anything. I turned away and continued towards Zane Ro'Meave.

    With a resounding clash, Zane twisted Aphmau's sword out of her hands. She fumbled, trying to regain her grip, but it was already flying. Zane flashed a grin and raised his sword, about to drive his sword into her chest.

    "No!" I screamed, throwing my hands out in front of me without a second thought. Wind surged up and blasted Zane in the chest. He tumbled backwards through the air, his own sword falling out of his hands. Aphmau fell to the ground, crawling towards Garroth. My wind hit the men on either side of my lover, and they joined Zane on the ground.

    Storm clouds started to gather above, lighting crackling and thunder booming. Rain poured down, drenching my clothes but not my fury. "No! No no no!" Energy poured through my bones and veins and made my head pound. It hurt, the amount of energy running through my body.

    "NO MORE!" I screamed, voice aching and lungs burning. "YOU WILL NOT HURT THEM!" My hair swirled up around my ears, and the hair on my tail and ears was standing on edge.

    "Alice!" Garroth screamed, struggling up from the ground with Aphmau at his side. "You can't!" I shook my head, looking at him for the last time.

    "For the good of the world..." I whispered, looking back at Zane. I was holding him back with wind, and that alone was sucking my energy quickly. "I love you." I murmured. Then I shot my arms forward again, channeling a lighting bolt straight towards Zane, the bane of my lover's life.

    I couldn't hear anything except for a constant ringing. But I saw Nana, her hair streaming behind her as she ran towards me. Aphmau was crying, her arms wrapped around her torso. Yip and Katelyn were each holding Lilith and Alina, protecting them from the explosion. Thalia was looking away, a tear dripping down her cheek. I saw the faces of all the innocent people I was saving, upturned towards me. I saw Zane screaming out in pain, the magick exploding as it reached him.

        And then there was Garroth. He was screaming, tears streaming down his face. The look he had was of pure anguish, and his eyes made me want to cry. He was pulling away from Aphmau, trying to run to my side and save me from my inevitable destruction.

        But then, the world turned white at the edges. Everything slowly faded into the white, and then I was falling. Falling down, down, down...