Zoey

Taking in a deep breath, I knocked on Aphmau's door. I waited a couple of minutes, the cup of tea starting to cool in my hands. Finally, I simply opened the door slowly, peeking inside.

Aphmau was passed out on her bed, sheets kicked around. I smiled, putting the cup of jasmine tea down on her bedside and covering it with a plate to keep it warm until morning. I pulled the sheets up around her and blew out the candle on the table.

She had been falling asleep earlier and earlier now that she was only a few weeks away from the birth of her child. After the child was born, Aphmau would be exhausted. Knowing her, she would try and get back to her old schedule as soon as possible. But I would be firm. I wouldn't let her leave the house for the first two months, and I especially wouldn't let her worry herself about Aaron.

Aaron. That had been what I had come to talk to her about. Ever since she had shared the news about seeing Aaron, I had seen in her eyes that she was determined to bring him back. But I knew, as did he, that if she tried to open the portal again, she may very well die, Irene or not. And I couldn't let her kill herself, especially if she wasn't strong enough after giving birth.

Giving her a smile, I left the room, shutting the door softly behind me. Lilith was asleep in her room, her thumb in her mouth and her teddy bear in her arms. She was young; it pained me when I saw her in this room. It reminded me of when Levin and Malachi were still kids, and Lady Aphmau was still the Lord. The day when we left on the boat with the other children, I had a feeling that it would be a long time until I would see home again. I wasn't wrong. We came back to Phoenix Drop within a week, but without Aphmau, Garroth, and Laurance, it didn't feel much like home at all.

Now, Garroth and Aphmau were here. Dante, Kawaii~Chan, Nekoette, and Dimitri, Kiki and Leona, Brenden, Issa, and Dell, Donna, Logan, and their kids, heck, even Thalia, Richard, and Alice had all become my family as well. But without Laurance, even Aaron, it didn't feel complete. I wanted my entire family back. For good.