Emma

The three of us hiked up the steep hills of the Nether, slowly approaching a cave at the top. Laurance was in front, and I had my sword drawn to make sure that he didn't try anything. Zane was behind me, struggling slightly after months of being locked away.

My armor was heavy and hot, weighing me down slightly, but I couldn't afford to remove it and then need it later. Might as well suffer now and live later.

"We're almost there." Laurance called back, voice cracking slightly. I had noticed that he had barely looked at either Zane or I the entirety of the trip, and whenever he did, there was always so much pain and hatred in his eyes that I had to look away. I thought that I would enjoy making him suffer for all he did to me, yet it just hurt me inside. I guess I still care about him. Why?

When we reached the cave entrance, he turned towards us. The pain in his gaze had increased tenfold, and I had to focus on his forehead.

"You two wait here. I'm going to scout ahead to make sure that no one will hinder us." Zane narrowed his eyes, studying Laurance's face.

"How do I know that you won't just run away?" He questioned, and Laurance looked even more miserable.

"I promised I would take you to the surface. Also, I might be able to convince people to leave so others don't question their death. Finally... it's been sixteen years or so, but people will definitely recognize Zane Ro'Maeve." Zane smirked before relenting.

"I guess you have some sense. Fine. I'll give you five minutes to either make anyone leave or kill them. If you aren't back by then, we will come." Laurance nodded, before turning and trotting down the dark pathway.

Once he was out of sight, I looked at Zane. He nodded, and I ran after Laurance as stealthily as I could. He didn't notice me behind him, and I tried to stay as silent as I could.

There were no guards at the portal, and Laurance ran straight in. After waiting a minute or so, I followed suit, diving to the side as soon as I got through. Peering around, I saw that I was in a small cave with a pathway leading out. I was kneeling on soul sand, and already I felt sluggish. Laurance was nowhere to be seen, so I stood up and slowly made my way out of the cave, staying close to the wall.

I saw him talking to two guards wearing the uniforms of Bright Port. Laurance had transformed out of his Shadow Knight armor and seemed very active, almost like he was warning them about something...

"-to me. I need both both of you to go to Phoenix Drop and find Sir Garroth. Tell him that his lost brother is almost home. Please, go as fast as you can before it's too late." The two men exchanged a look before nodding.

"Of course sir. Good luck sir." Then they took off at a jog, running towards Bright Port. Laurance watched them leave, his gaze never leaving the ruins that were all around us.

"I don't care if you tell Zane of what I've done. I don't care if you kill me now that you both are at the surface. I warned Aphmau and Garroth and my home. That's all I care about. If Zane attacks, at least they'll be ready." With that, he turned and looked at me, guilt and sorrow clouding his baby blue eyes. With a start I realized his eyes had completely changed color from green to blue. What happened?

"It's my fault that he's even in this world again. Give me this one Emma. Give me one chance to redeem myself in their eyes." I stared into his eyes, my heart hurting from everything I saw. After several long moments, I looked away.

"I won't tell him. But not because you asked. Only because I know that Lady Aphmau will tell all of her friends, and that includes Cadenza. I want Cadenza to be safe, and that's all that matters." Laurance watched me for a while longer before turning back towards the open air.

"Hurry back and tell him what you need. I'll be there within a minute." I ran back into the cave and through the portal, glad to be in territory I knew. As I raced down the tunnel, my brain pounded against my skull.

What he doesn't know won't hurt him... right?