Travis

I suppose I should talk about everything in the world going on. The fact that Lady Cadenza had been kidnapped, and that Zane was approaching, and that Aphmau's kids weren't safe. Aphmau was close to giving birth, and she hadn't been doing much anything. There wasn't any sign of Zane yet, and Cadenza wasn't anywhere to be found. So, now that that's covered, onto Katelyn.

We kept doing that for probably a month. I would walk by her house in the middle of her night and see her sitting there. Every time now, I would see my jacket wrapped around her shoulders. I know that it was probably only because of the cold, but she could've just as easily used a blanket.

I would sit down next to her and look up at the stars. She would join me, and we would sit there in comfortable silence. Even though we didn't talk, I was starting to feel closer to Katelyn than ever before.

Every night, we would sit closer and closer together before suddenly we were right next to each other. The next night, she took me by surprise and rested her head on my shoulder, never looking away from the stars. I was shocked, unable to do much more than sit there. But the night after, I slowly wrapped an arm around her waist. She froze up slightly before just leaning into me.

The next night, the silence was broken. She looked away from the stars and up at me, a question in her eyes. "Travis?" I looked down at her, giving her a smile.

"Yeah Katy?" She sighed, her gaze now traveling to the wood beneath us.

"Why are you acting like this? Like, you're... I don't know..." I reached out with my free hand and slipped it through hers. She looked up, beautiful blue eyes matching her hair.

"I'm letting you see the real me Katelyn. And I hope that you're doing the same." She blushed slightly, unable to look away.

"But why?" Right then would've been a perfect moment to kiss her and tell her that way. But she wouldn't appreciate that. If I was going to kiss her, it would be on her terms, not mine. Instead, I squeezed her hand and pulled her closer ever so slightly.

"Because... well... I... I like you Katelyn. A lot. And... I want for you to give me a shot because you really want to, not because I force it upon you. I want you to know the real me, and I'm tired of pushing you away from me." The blush on her cheeks grew, and she looked down at the ground again.

Then she looked up again. "You can ask me a question if you want to." I knew the question I wanted to ask her immediately, and I looked deep into her eyes. No one can hide what's in their gaze.

"Why do you keep coming down here?" She didn't look away, and I saw several emotions trying to hide- sadness, anger, and love.

"I've been having this dream..." She started, suddenly unsure of herself. I squeezed my arm around her waist, trying to give her confidence. She inhaled before continuing. "It starts out, and I'm in the middle of a field covered by fog. Then, he appears. He's walking slowly and calling my name. I want to tell him where I am, but I can't. I can't do anything, and then he's gone. He's gone, and he doesn't even know that I'm still alive!" She kept staring in my eyes, and to my shock, tears started to glisten in hers. She lowered her head, sniffling. I pulled her close, letting her rest her head against my chest and cry. I rested my head on top of hers, rocking her back and forth. A few tears escaped, and she sat there, curled up in my arms.

After a minute or so, she pulled away slightly, wiping away a stray tear. I smiled at her, keeping her close. "Katy? If you don't mind me asking... who's he?" She took a shaky breath before looking back up at me.

"M-my brother Kacey." My eyes widened in shock for a moment before my brain could process.

"You have a brother? How come you haven't told anyone about him?" She stood up quickly, pulling away from my arms.

"Thank you for listening to me Travis, and thank you for answering. But I really have to go to bed now. Goodnight." With that she disappeared inside, leaving me all alone.

As I stared at the empty space that used to contain the beautiful woman that meant the world to me, I couldn't help but start to think. Had I said something wrong? Or was there something in her past that she just couldn't bear to talk about?