Garroth

Song: Shared Tears by Peter Roe

    I nodded at Richard as he came and took my spot at the top of the wall. He looked exhausted, but I knew that he would stay awake the entire night. He had never fallen asleep on the job before.

    I headed down the ladder, ready to head to the guard station and collapse. Today had been hectic, from talking to Lady Aphmau to staying up for guard duty. It was hard work being head guard.

        Sword banging against my side, I made my way through the rows of houses. Phoenix Drop had basically exploded in six short months. Ever since it was revealed to the world that Aphmau was the real Lady Irene, people had flocked to Phoenix Drop, and we had had no choice but to expand. It had been sad, tearing down some of the ruins that had been here for years. But we would never forget them.

        As I was passing Thalia's house, a light flickered on upstairs and quickly moved downstairs. Frowning, I made my way over to her door and knocked.

        Several long moments passed before the door flew open and Thalia stood in front of me, concern etched all across her face.

        "Garroth? What are you doing here?" From behind her, I could hear sobbing, almost as if the owner was in great pain.

        "What's going on Thalia? What's the matter?" She glanced back, worried.

        "You best come inside." She pulled the door open farther and let me in. I looked towards Alice and immediately wished I hadn't.

        She sat up in her bed, torso resting against her knees. Her black hair was hanging down her back, tangled slightly from sleep. Her sides shook as she cried, and her breath hitched every so often. But worst of all was the blood dripping down her sides from the torn scars. It dripped down from her ribs all the way down to her waist before falling and coating the bed under her.

        "Alice!" I ran over to her side, sword swinging through the air. She glanced up as I approached and immediately burst into tears once more. I sat on the bed next to her, wrapping my arms around her. She leaned against my chest, sobbing into the cold fabric. I stroked her hair, trying to calm her down.

        "What happened? Are you okay?" I whispered, not letting go of her for a minute. She whimpered, clutching my arm and refusing to say a word. I glanced at Thalia, looking for an answer.

        She just shrugged. "I don't know what's wrong. I woke up when I heard her crying and came down to find her like this. Just... keep her occupied while I wrap her up." I nodded, looking down at the beautiful woman in my arms.

        "Oh Alice." I pulled her tight, letting her cry into me as Thalia wrapped bandages around Alice's bleeding waist. When she was done, she stood up, frowning down and about to speak.

        I caught her eye and shook my head ever so slightly. She seemed to get my message and nodded, leaving the lantern by the bed and walking back upstairs.

        Once she was gone, I slowly pulled myself away from Alice and frowned down at her. "Alice, sweetheart, will you please tell me what happened?" She blinked, seeming surprised at the term, but took a deep breath and told me a terrible story about a memory that had resurfaced in a dream.

        "H-h-he would u-use me, a-and make me t-t-t-torture people, and t-threaten people into c-c-cooperating with h-him. It w-was a-awful! And h-he said th-that he would k-k-kill Na- K-Kawaii~Chan and m-my parents if I didn't do a-as he said. I-I-I fear he's already k-killed my parents, b-b-but I had hope th-th-that KC would st-still be here."

        I stared into her black eyes, anger and sorrow filling my entire being. How dare someone treat her like that!

        She sniffed, leaning against me once more. I pulled her close, resting my chin on the top of her head as I thought. It was quite obvious that the man she talked about was the King of Tula. And I had heard stories of the King's pet, ready to slaughter at a moment's notice. But Alice... she would never do that. I knew that she wouldn't. She had been forced against her will, no other reason. Right?

        "Garroth? Thank you for listening to me. No one has for quite some time." I looked down at her and smiled sadly, taking in her features. I felt at home in her arms, almost as if I was made to hold her. Whenever I looked into her endless eyes, I could stare forever and never find the bottom. I knew then, what it was that I felt.

        "Alice, I will always listen to you. I will never leave you alone, and will make sure that you always have someone besides you." She stared into my eyes, and neither of us spoke. We simply acted. I leaned down and pulled her into a kiss, sweet and soft. Her arms stayed around me, holding onto my back. One of my hands was on her jaw, the other buried itself in her hair, pulling her closer.

        When we finally broke apart, she was smiling through the tears. She kissed me one last time before lying down against me. "I love you Garroth." She whispered as she sank into slumber. I grinned, slipping down in the bed and holding her against my side.

        "I love you too Alice." And then, holding her in my arms, I slipped into slumber.