Dante

I stood guard outside of Kiki's new barn on the Phoenix Capital. Ever since the guards from Bright Port had come and told us about Laurance's warning, we had moved all of the children from Phoenix Drop to the Phoenix Capital. Kiki has graciously opened her barn to host the children. Leona had her hands full, but she wouldn't have it any other way.

I heard giggling and screaming and sighed, remembering how easy it had been when I was still little. When Gene was still good and still loved me.

I shook away the memories when Nekoette ran outside, hiding behind me. "Don't tell them I'm here Papa!" I chuckled, letting her hide. After ten or so minutes, most of the children spilled out of the barn, looking around.

"And what are you kids doing?" I put my hands on my hips, looking down at them with a grin.

"We're looking for Nekoette and Dimitri. They're really good hiders!" Rollo said, Lello nodding behind him. I laughed, shrugging my shoulders.

"I definitely haven't seen them. Sorry kids." Rollo looked at me, almost as if he could see Nekoette behind me. Then his eyes widened and he scrambled backwards. I was about to ask what was wrong when I heard it.

"Papa!" Nekoette screamed, and I whirled around, swords already drawn. There was a woman dressed all in black trying to keep a grasp on Nekoette. She was clawing and scratching, kicking and writhing. But she kept an arm locked over Nekoette's stomach and one held a dagger to her throat. She immediately fell still, feeling the cold metal on her neck.

"Let her go!" I cried, standing my ground with my swords brandished in front of me. The woman laughed, tightening her grip.

"I'll let her go as soon as you tell me where Lady Irene's children are. All of them." I snarled, bending my knees slightly.

"Never." But my head was whirling, trying to figure out why they wanted Lady Aphmau's children.

"Your loss then." As she was about to kill Nekoette, I saw Nekoette's training kick in. The woman's arm had loosened around her waist, and she kicked her legs up and knocked her arm away from her throat. Nekoette fell to the ground, picking up the discarded dagger and holding it in front of her.

"Nobody kills Nekoette unless she says so!" She charged with the dagger, and the woman scrambled away, running into the streets of town. I charged after her, tackling and bringing her to the crowd. Knocking her out, I carried her back to the barn where the other kids were congratulating Nekoette. I looked at Kiki, and she nodded. I started walking towards the prison on the island, keeping the woman over my shoulder. But thoughts kept circling over and over again.

How could someone dangerous have gotten onto the island? And why would they want Lady Aphmau's children? Where they working for Zane? Tula? Their own selfish reasons?

Whatever it was, I knew that they children, especially Lady Aphmau's, were no longer as safe as we hoped.