Emma

Song: Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri

    I stared into the fire, the flickering flames consuming my attention. Besides, if I looked anywhere else, my heart would... explode.

        Laurance was sitting across the fire from me, also staring into the flames. His sword was in his lap, and his gaze was unfocused, his attention clearly somewhere else. He looked completely miserable, and I knew that it was for multiple reasons. One, being forced to take Zane to his home. Two, Cadenza was here. And three, the fact that I was still... confused. Knowing him, he would feel like the entire thing was his fault and that he could take it back. But then he would tell himself that it was better that I knew, and that he wouldn't change what he had said no matter what.

        Leaning against a tree and sharpening his sword, Zane stared into the darkness, keeping an eye on our surroundings. Every time I looked at him or thought about him, my blood boiled. How could he have lied to me?! How could he use me like that?!

        In all honesty, it was mostly my own fault. He had told me that his name was Zane. I should've put two and two together, but I was still confused from the whole 'being killed' thing. He told me that if I could get him out from the prison he had been trapped in by rogue Shadow Knights, then he would keep me safe from the harsh Nether, as well as get me out eventually. So I agreed.

        But the one person I couldn't even look at was my wonderful sister Cadenza. She was just in the light of the fire, far enough away that she would definitely be cold tonight. Her arms were above her head, tied to the lowest branch of a tree, and a thick rope was tied tightly around her waist. I knew she was in pain, I could tell from her eyes. But she kept her head up high and her face barren of emotion. Her beautiful nightgown that I know she made herself was torn and dirty on the bottom and did nothing to keep her warm, even in the summer. Summer nights got cold quickly. I don't know why, but even though she had left me, I still loved her. If I needed her, she would've done her best to be there.

        It was nearing autumn, and she had been with us for a month now. Zane had refused to move away from the portal, so we had been camping out in the woods, scavenging for food. I had no idea why we weren't already at Phoenix Drop. But I didn't dare say anything for fear of what might happen to Cadenza. He had already left marks on her face and arms, and well as making sure that the ropes were extremely tight.

    Standing up, I crossed the short distance and sat next to Cadenza. She looked down at me, orange hair falling down around me. Her beautiful blue eyes were full of regret and sorrow, but also anger.

        "He'll pay for everything he's put you through, little sister." I smiled at her before leaning against her side. She rested her head on top of mine, unable to do anything else. Discreetly, I fingered the rope around her waist, slowly loosening it. She let out a breath she had been holding, and I snuggled against her.

         Even after all that had happened, everything we had been through, I still loved Cadenza with all of my heart.