Thalia

Song: What About Us? by P!NK

    I sat in the middle of the floor, books and medicines all around me. I was in the middle of rearranging my shelves when a book caught my attention. It was my old diary from when I was younger. It brought me back to earlier times. Easier times.

    I spent the entire day shadowing my father today. In just two years, he will step down and I will become the Lord of this village. I'm nervous, but at the same time, I feel ready. I think that I will make a good Lord for our village, maybe even better that Dad.

        But that's in the future. For now, I'm content just to be a child.

        I sniffed, closing the book and putting it down by my side. I had been sixteen years old when I had written that. I hadn't really been a child, but I felt happier at that time than I ever had. I had a lover, I had amazing friends, and I had a loving father. I didn't need anything else in life. But then, of course, Shadow Knights had to ruin it.

        Picking up my diary again, I flipped all the way to the back, to the last page I had ever written in.

        Today's the day! Evelyn is becoming the head guard today, Kacey is going to leave to continue on his search for his sister (and we all hope he succeeds), and I am becoming the Lord! I can't wait to finally have control over my own life, and I have so many ideas for making Sterica even better than before. Oh, and before I forget, Savannah told me that James was planning on proposing soon!!!!! I'm so excited!!!! I love him so much, and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him.

        But wait. There's a noise coming from downstairs. I will be back as soon as I make sure that everything is alright.

        And that's where it stops. Nothing after that is my own handwriting. Instead, there were several passages that I knew by heart.

        Thalia, if you ever see this, then that means that you've returned to Sterica. Everyone there is forever in your debt for what you've done for us. And I am so sorry that I'm not still there. I heard rumors about my sister, and I had to follow them. I've already lost so much of my family; I can't lose anymore. I'm sorry. But I hope that we see each other again. But in the space between, make sure that you make the best out of life.

- Kacey

    Thalia, I want to say thank you. Thank you so much. You gave yourself up for the rest of the village, even though none of us were deserving. I was about to die, and you took my place. And, even though it meant losing everything you cared about, you still did it. So thank you Thalia. Thank you oh so much. And I am so sorry that I won't still be there if you ever get back. But, I needed to find a place where there wasn't such bad memories haunting me. I love you Thalia. Remember that.

- Evelyn   

    Oh Thalia. There are so many things to say to you. First off, thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You truly are an angel sent to Earth. I don't know how I will ever be able to repay you.

    Second, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I moved on. I told you that you were the only one for me, yet two years later here I am. With another woman. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have. But I know what you would say. And always remember that you were the first, and I will never forget you.

- James

        Thalia, I'm sorry. I'm going out today to try and find you. I will leave this book with my wife, and I won't come back until I find you. I'm also leaving this communication amulet with her, so please, contact me the second you arrive home. I love you.

        I was crying now, tears splattering on the page. When I had gone home, asking for James, I had been directed to Lindsay, his wife. She had given me the diary, and when I asked where he was, she started bawling. She said that he hadn't answered the communication amulet in over three days, and that she was beginning to fear the worst. I had waited with her for almost a month. James didn't return. I told her that I was leaving and going to Phoenix Drop. If James ever did come back, then I wanted to know.

    But here I was, several months later, with no word from her. I knew deep in my heart that he was dead, but I couldn't bring myself to say it out loud. It was too painful.

        There was a knock on my front door, and I immediately wiped away the tears, closing the diary and setting it down. I stood, walking over to the door and pulling it open. Dimitri and Nekoette stood there, and I immediately noticed the red line across Nekoette's neck.

        "Oh my Irene come in, come in!" I ushered them in, brushing aside space on a bed. Nekoette sat down, and I could see that she was shaking.

    "Nekoette, sweetie, can you tell me what happened?" I crouched in front of her, covering her hands with mine. When she didn't speak, I looked over at Dimitri.

        "We were playing hide and seek at Kiki's barn. Nekoette hid outside behind Dad, and then a woman attacked her. She... she was gonna kill Neko because Dad wouldn't tell her where Lady Aphmau's kids were. Neko defended herself, but she... she was bleeding and she's also pretty shaken up. Please, can you just make sure that she's okay?" I smiled, nodding at Dimitri.

        "I'll take perfect care of her Dimitri. Now, how about you go and start some tea upstairs? Kawaii~Chan's taught you how?" He nodded before running up the steps into my kitchen above. Then I turned to Nekoette, who was starting to cry slightly. "It'll be alright sweetheart. You're safe."