Chapter Twenty-three: "Basketball and Ice Cream."

"My coach says I'm one of the best players. I can shoot threes and the boys can't even do that." Maya said from the backseat while she patted her basketball in hands.

We were on our way to her basketball game which she was excited for since it was the championship. She would be playing the best boys team on the east coast and if she won, she would then be playing for the best boys team.

She had been talking about it, nonstop.

"Well, are you ready to play?" Alexander said, pulling into the parking lot. He quickly pulled into a space while Maya chanted about how ready she was.

"You gonna score?"

"I sure am!"

"You gonna defend?"

"I sure am!"

"Are you gonna help show them who the best team really is?"

"I sure am! Are we gonna go get ice cream afterwards?" Maya said, repeating it in the same voice Alex was asking his questions.

"We sure are!" He laughed. I chuckled to myself before turning around and seeing Maya unbucklinbher seatbelt and doing a weird dance that consisted over her rollin her hips and failing her arms around. She stuck out her tongue and shuck her head around while Alex praised her. She spun around in the tight space before leaning forward and turning the music up. She opened her car door, hoping out and continuing her dance. Alex and I laughed. He opened his door, screaming 'yeah baby! That's my babygirl!' while Maya continued her silly dance. She put her hand up and Alex slapped it before twirling her around. They then both danced robotically before locking ankles and jumping in a circle. They then high five again before laughing loudly. She climbed back into the car quickly to grab her basketball before slamming the door.

Alexander stuck his head into the car and took the keys out the ignition. "Come on!" He said, a bright smile on his face. As if his smile was contagious, I opened the door and slid out. Closing the door behind me, I walked to wear Maya was holding her basketball and Alex stood beside her with his #8 jersey T-shirt. 'Parker' was printed above the giant 8.

"I do that before every game! It's good luck! We always win when I do that!" She said, bouncing the ball as we walked to the arena.

"I did like it. I think you'll win either way though." I said, confident in my words. Alexander agreed before waving to a small group of kids who were wearing a matching jersey to Maya's. The boys all waved back before running towards Maya who was too busy dribbling a ball to notice them. As the kids all talked and walked, I turned to Alex.

"I liked your lil' dance." I smiled. He ran a hair through his already messy hair. He sparkling white smile could make me melt in this hot ass sun right here and right now.

"We've been doing it since her very first game just cause she was nervous. It just stuck I guess. It's fun seeing her do it.. she gets really excited from it." He said, continuing to walk. We eventually made it inside the building.

On the court, the rest of Maya's team was starting warm up while the other team was switching their jerseys from their dark navy blue to white. Shoes squeaked against the floor and basketballs pounding against them. Maya and the four boys that we met out in the parking lot jogged to their side of the court while Alex and I found a spot in the bleachers to sit.

"Your toes look nice," Alex said, looking at my slides. I had just gotten them done earlier with white polish but on the big toe there was a small heart.

"Thank you. Your hair looks nice." I said in reply, running my hand through it in an attempt to tame it.

This is how it goes until the game starts, Alexander and I complimenting each other on random things from his trimmed and clean nails to my birthmark on my right wrist. The loud buzzer alerts us that it's time for the kids to play. We look into the court to see Maya and four boys from her team walking into the court. Maya adjusted her headband before licking her hands and rubbing the bottom of her sneakers. She then ran to the center, shaking hands with both the refs and opponent. She smiles brightly before giving Alex and I a thumbs up. Alexander return it while I wave before watching the ref toss up the ball and seeing Maya push it of the tip of her hands.