Chapter 29

Back at the manor, Ella was quite lost without her usual maid. Bryony had been replaced by a young girl named Mirabelle, who seemed to move at a much slower, more flustered pace. Mirabelle always seemed to be running late, couldn't stop asking Ella where things belonged, and was hardly worth asking what she thought of an outfit. Ella was this close to letting the poor girl go, telling her that perhaps she was not meant to be a maid.

"You can't do that," Cecil insisted.

They sat across from each other at the main fireplace. The hired bard sat in the corner of the room with his eternally humming lute, as the couple pretended to be listening to his music.

"And why not?" Ella asked. "She can't get anything right. This was her chance to step up. Who knows the next time Bryony will need to leave? Do you really think I can depend on Mirabelle?"

"I think you can open your mind to it," Cecil said. "She's new. She doesn't know how you like things. Give her some time to get to know you. Teach her."

"I have no time to teach a maid," Bryony said.

"She has to learn at some point."

"You've never done a day's work," Bryony laughed.

"Neither have you."

A servant approached with the pot of tea which Cecil had requested. He set it down between them, and no doubt lingered to have a listen at their conversation.

"Still, I like her," Cecil said. "I find her charming and sincere."

"Perhaps she behaves differently around you," Ella said.

"Perhaps she doesn't," Cecil said. "And you just refuse to see it." Cecil poured a cup of tea and in turning to face the table, realized the servant was still there. "You're dismissed," he said.

As soon as he left, Ella leaned in. "Don't tell me you find her attractive, Cecil," Ella said.

Mirabelle was a young woman, perhaps just over twenty, with long, dark hair and olive skin. It was clear even in her maid's outfit that she had a thoroughly curvy figure, one that Cecil had often found himself staring at. One that Cecil had often found himself wondering about, as she leaned over to pick up various things strewn about their bedroom.

"No," Cecil blushed. "I mean, she isn't unattractive. But I'd quite say we have enough going on between the two of us."

Ella folded her arms. "I can't have you flinging yourself onto any young woman who becomes my chambermaid. You may sleep with whoever you want, but a young girl like that--well--it hardly becomes her choice, does it? If she works for you?"

"Of course," Cecil said. "Of course."

"Bryony was different," Ella explained. "She'd force herself on anybody." For a moment, it crossed her mind what Bryony might be doing with Ali right now.

"Yes," Cecil laughed. "And I'm sure she shall force herself upon us upon her return."