Chapter 30

Mirabella, Ella's new maid, had been told by Colton, that she needed to seduce Cecil in order to keep her job. Mirabella couldn't keep a straight face as he told her, while they stood underneath the stairs, serving trays in hand. She outright laughed, dizzied by the complexity of the situation.

"Who's saying that I won't keep my job?" Mirabella said. Her face was always bright and cheery, and even now she smiled as she asked the most frightening question, as if it were a joke.

"Lady Ella said so," Colton said. Colton was Mirabella's closest friend and confidant. They told each other everything, all of the gossip this manor's walls could hold. This was the first time, though, that the gossip had become so personal. "She said she doesn't trust you. That you can't figure things out."

"That's because Bryony gave me no instruction!" Mirabella hissed. "The woman I was supposed to ask, has gone off to visit some dying aunt of her's--I'm sorry, I shouldn't be so rude, when she is going through such a difficult time."

"No, you shouldn't," Colton agreed.

"Still," Mirabelle said. "I can't believe that Lady Ella would do this without even talking to me. She has to give a chance to explain, right?"

"She doesn't have to do anything."

Mirabelle looked sullen now. She leaned her back against the wall behind them and Colton kindly took her tray and set both of them on the ground. Colton wrapped an arm around her, though looked awfully nervous about doing so. "You're right," Mirabelle exhaled. "Dear God, I could lose my job."

Colton pulled her closer. "No," he said. "I don't think you will. I really don't. Lord Cecil said. Lord Cecil said he found you quite charming."

"So?" Mirabelle cried. There were tears streaming down her face now. "So what? What am I supposed to do, just lift my dress as I start cleaning and hope he sees something he likes? Disgusting!"

"No," Colton said. "You shouldn't dare damage your honor. Just talk to him. He could convince Lady Ella to keep you."

"Talk to a Lord?" she asked.

Colton's face grew quite panicked. Then he leaned in. "I know something," he said. "Something that I know I should have told you. But I feel awful even saying it now."

Mirabelle's face brightened. "Tell me," she insisted.

"Bryony," Colton whispered. "Was sleeping with him. Lord Cecil."

Mirabelle pulled away in shock, her face absolutely brightened. She had stumbled through so many emotions in such a short conversation shared underneath the stairs. "She wasn't!" Mirabelle said.

"She certainly was," Colton said. "I was just trying to deliver some tea one day and I--well, I only opened the door a crack. They didn't see me."

Mirabelle covered her mouth in horror.

"But this is good," Colton explained. "It means Cecil might push Ella to keep you, as long as there is promise of something in the future."

"Just promise," Mirabelle said. "Nothing else."