Chapter 39

With Cecil occupied by Mirabelle, Ella found herself wondering how she would occupy her time. She loved her nights with Cecil, and she loved how they both enjoyed their nights apart. It was so beautiful to watch Cecil get excited at the possibility of a new romance, the way that he talked about his crushes and fantasies. It made her feel free, and sometimes that freedom showed itself most when she spent her time alone. Sometimes she practiced sparring with the other noblemen that stayed at the house--siblings, visitors, friends. Sometimes she took long strolls in the garden, out past the edge of the property, and sang to the stars.

One night in particular, she wandered far past the property into the forest, until she saw a fire dying in the distance. She approached with caution, and with no intent to speak to the stranger, just a curious fascination. Between the trees she saw him--a tall, wide-shouldered man about about twice her strength, which was hard to come by. He wore tattered peasant's clothes, but he was the kind of person who had a noble demeanor about him. He tended to the end of his fire, watching the embers die out one by one. Then he stood up, took some bed clothes out of his bag, and began to change. 

Ella caught a glimpse of his perfectly formed body, muscles like marble. She took a step closer and immediately stepped on a twig with a loud crack.

"Who goes there?" he asked.

She stayed silent.

"Who goes there?" He picked up his bow and arrow and aimed it into the darkness.

Ella felt fear shoot into her heart. "Please," she said, in the most feminine voice she could muster. "I mean you no harm, I only saw the light of the fire."

He set the bow down slowly. "Who are you?" he asked. "Come closer."

She stepped into the light and was sure that her noble clothing took him by surprise. She looked down at herself, in one of her favorite dresses for its simplicity and functionality, and wondered what he thought of her.

"A noblewoman?" he asked. "Why would a woman like you be out in the forest at this hour? Are you looking for danger?"

"I can handle myself quite well," she said. "Give me that bow and arrow. I bet I can shoot any tree of your choosing in the dark."

He laughed. "Alright," he said, and handed it to her. He pointed to some tree a moderate distance away and watched in amazement as she aimed, and in one shot, pierced the tree trunk.

 "Alright," he said, impressed. "Looks like I'm mistaken. Have a seat, my lady."

"You can call me Ella," she said. "And who are you, to be out in the forest making camp at this hour? Don't you have a home?"

"Afraid I don't, any longer," he said. "I left that life long ago. Now I'm just a wanderer, I suppose. My name is Arthur."

"Like the King," Ella smiled.

"I'm no king," the man laughed. "I spend my time wandering this land, trying to understand it all. The different plants, animals, terrains. I have an appreciation for survival. I think we've grown too comfortable in our homes and our cities and our farms. I prefer the wild."

Ella was fascinated by this. She asked him more and more questions: How do you stay alive in the winters? How can you fit everything you need on your back? How far have you walked in all this time? What sights have you seen?

Suddenly, she caught her mind drifting and realized the hour must be incredibly late. They laughed about how conversation had stolen them away, and she apologized for bothering him.

"Lady Ella," he said, taking her hand. "I assure you its not a bother for a man who's lived most of his life alone to be visited by such a curious and intelligent woman."

Ella felt her whole body rush with excitement. She squeezed his hand tight. "Arthur," she asked. "Could I ask a favor of you?"

"Anything, my lady."

"Could you make your camp here tomorrow, in exactly this spot, so that I might ask you more questions about your journey?" she said.

"I'd be happy to," he said.