Chapter 51

When Ella returned to the estate, she first rushed to Cecil, swept him up in her arms, and kissed him on the cheek. She couldn't stop talking about how much she loved him, how grateful she was for him in her life, but Cecil was obviously distracted. He informed her that Arthur had come to the estate, that he had washed up and was settling into the guest room down the hall. Ella froze in shock.

"Arthur's alright?" she asked. "He escaped?"

"Escaped?" Cecil asked. His expression completely changed. "What happened to you?"

Ella sat down and informed him of it all--how Arthur was wanted for theft, how he'd shot the first watchman in the leg, how the three watchmen had cornered them, had taken advantage of her. Cecil was clearly boiling over with anger.

"It's fine," Ella said. "If I'm being quite honest, I think I made the best of the situation."

"You are a noblewoman," Cecil protested. Ella had not expected this to be his immediate issue with the situation. "How dare they even touch you."

"Well," Ella smirked. "I showed them who's boss."

"Are you sure you're alright," Cecil asked, taking her in his arms. "Wait--wait, what do you mean you showed them who's boss?"

Ella kissed his cheek. "I dominated them," she said. "All three of them."

Cecil's eyes widened. "You--?" he started. "Oh."

"I was in the mood anyway," she said. "Arthur and I were just about to get up to something. And I thought. Well, I thought it would be fun. And uh it was. I feel a bit strange about the whole situation. To be quite honest, I don't know what came over me. I just. I think I just don't want to think about it for now."

"Would you like to perhaps check on our guest instead?" Cecil asked.

Ella nodded. She stood up, sorting through her wardrobe for a dress more suitable than the one Bryony had brought her. She combed her hair, applied a little bit of make up to her face and asked if Cecil would like to accompany her. He had already picked up one of his etiquette books and said he was rather tired.

When she visited Arthur's room, Ella was surprised to see him in an expensive tunic, hair brushed, face cleaned. He looked quite natural as a noble, there was something about him, a strength, a confidence. When she entered, he sat up on the bed, and she sat beside him, letting him take her in his arms. They talked about the harrowing events of the evening, and it didn't take long for Ella to offer Arthur the guest room for long-term use.

"We can say you're a noble guest," she said. "It'll keep the watchmen away. And you can do freely as you please. You will eat well. You'll have fine clothes. And we can spend time together."

Arthur grunted, staring at the floor. He was silent for a while.

"I don't see how someone could refuse an offer like this," she said. "We will keep you safe."

Arthur gave a sigh. He looked at her reluctantly. "I'll stay for a few days. Get them off my trail. But that's it."

Ella laughed with confusion. She rubbed his shoulders. "I really don't understand you sometimes," she said, hoping he would open up a bit more.

But he was silent, as if the decision he had just made had weighed him down. Ella left him soon after that, giving him a kiss goodnight, and requesting his presence for some more crossbow training in the morning.