Chapter 37

Cecil felt himself falling into a strange way again. The first time he had been with Bryony, he'd kept it secret, and he'd felt awful. Passion muddled with guilt had made him into a strange, secretive person, and he'd hated it. He'd have to come clean this time. He'd have to do things right this time, with Mirabelle.

That night, after taking dinner with Ella, his parents, and his siblings, as they always did, Cecil and Ella decided to take a stroll in the gardens. It was raining lightly, but Cecil was determined to have to this talk out among the bushes and flowers, far away from any prying ears. He ran his fingers through his hair, and looked over at Ella in anguish. 

"There's something I have to tell you," he said.

Ella looked startled. "What is this about?" she asked.

Cecil bit his lip, looked away. They walked in silence for a long while, as he mulled through his words.

"Well?" Ella prompted.

"The maid," Cecil said.

"Oh, you must be joking," Ella said.

"Mirabelle, the one who was covering for Bryony," he said.

"Yes, I know the one," Ella said.

"She has been helping me around the cottage," Cecil said. 

"And I--well, we--things started to get--but I couldn't because--I know you said how you didn't want me falling for another maid."

"You're right, I don't," Ella said."Well, why is that exactly?"

"Because," Ella said, exasperated. "I don't like it. Don't you realize the position you put them in?"

"Oh, I think I do," he smirked.

Ella grabbed him by the arm. He was a dainty thing compared to her, and she was reminded of the physical power she had over him. "No," she said. "I'm serious. You couldn't possibly understand. What it is to be a woman. But also, what it is to be a common woman the object of a noble man's affection. You've put her in a very strange place. A place where she might feel like she can't say no."

"But she wants to," Cecil said. "I mean look at Bryony. You seem fine with her."

"Bryony is different," Ella said. "She wants to lie in bed with anything. I think that is clear is day. But Mirabelle--I know it doesn't seem like it, but you may be making her uncomfortable."

"I really don't think I am," Cecil said.

"That's because you wouldn't see it," Ella said. "You just have to trust me. Here. How about this. You are not allowed to make any advances on her."

Cecil pouted openly.

"But," Ella said. 

"If she should make any on you, then you may act. But you will not tell her this, or it will be some strange way of making her feel like she has to make advances on you. You must simply act as though, well, as though you are in the traditional role of the woman, waiting around for a man to make a move. You can bat your eyes, you can make yourself look pretty, but she absolutely has to be the one who starts it. Understood?"

Cecil's mind was swirling with ideas. "Are you giving me permission then?" he asked. "I thought for certain you'd say no."

"Only if it happens the way I described," Ella said. "And only if you follow me back to our chambers right now so I can punish you for thinking such thoughts towards an innocent lady."

Cecil's eyes lit up. He hooked his arm through her's. "I think I'm in need of a good punishing."