Chapter 8--What Goes Up...

"WHAT ARE YOUR SPACEMEN DOING WITH THAT LADDER???!!"
I really don't like Ebbel all that much. I know it's his job but---I really don't like him that much.

"Sir, they are climbing on the roof," I say, painfully.

"AND WHY, CADET LEAVE-IT----" seriously? Won't that get old? Apparently not. "ARE THEY CLIMBING ON THE ROOF???"

"Sir, because I told them to," I say. I am so in the brig. So so so in the brig.

"AND WHY DID YOU TELL THEM TO CLIMB ON THE ROOF???"

"Sir, because my guidon is on the roof, and I need it back," I say, weakly. He was taking so long inside, I had been hoping to be done with the deed before he got out. teaches me to hope.

"ALL RIGHT, CAN ANYBODY ELSE TELL ME WHY DENAB'S GUIDON IS ON THE ROOF??? ANYBODY???"

**

"No, sir," I say, along with everyone else, except for Titus, who is laughing really hard and pretending to be coughing.

I wonder how the guidon did get to be on the roof of the barracks upside down with TC written on it in blue paint. A complete and utter mystery. I have no idea who could be responsible for that.

"Do you have no shame?" I hiss under my breath.

"Clearly not," he giggles.

**

"WELL HOW DO YOU PLAN ON GETTING IT DOWN??" Ebbel is an inch from my face.

"Sir, I did have a plan, and it involved the ladder," I say. Just send me home now. And give me something decent to eat for God's sake.

"THINK AGAIN," Ebbel paces in front of all of us. "NOW, I AM BLAMING YOU, FLIGHT LEADERS, BECAUSE ONE OF YOU EITHER DID IT, OR YOUR SPACMEN DID IT, WHICH MEANS YOU ARE RESPONISBLE. GOT IT?? SO THE FOUR OF YOU ARE GOING TO GO UP THERE, AND GET IT DOWN. GOT IT??? DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME???"

"YES SIR," because I joined the Space Forces because I'm good at climbing on ladders and things yes of course.

**

Time to meet my other flight leaders. Let's see what sort of fun we are going to have, shall we?

**

I wonder if somebody painted Titus' initials up there to frame him. he looks like he's coughing, but Nicole socks him in the arm as he leaves his flight, so he may have been laughing, I don't know. But he was in the brig last night so how could he have done it?

**

As you've probably figured out yes, the Tims did turn out to be useful for something. right now they look scared. They needn't worry. I won't betray them. Yet.

**

This is foolishness. I don't know why anyone would put a flag on a roof, and now I'm being blamed for it. it's that stupid Leavitt's fault probably. He probably did it to get the rest of us in trouble he's University that's how he would think.

**

I crawl up on the roof faster than the other three, I am small and used to climbing on things. Liesel is second fastest, she's second smallest as well so that follows. The two boys are last, they look hot and flustered in their heavy SBUs. And we haven't even started running yet.

"Nice to meet all of you, I'm Titus Card," I say, sitting cross legged on the roof and for all intents and purposes beginning to fiddle with a bit of the flag which is nailed to the roof.

"What----did you seriously put my guidon up here to meet us?" the owner of the Guidon says. Leavitt his name tapes say. he's big and----conventionally good looking, with grey eyes and brown hair, a dimples in his cheeks and a few freckles. He's long legged as well---- I remember him now, he's the boy who ran faster than me. the only one. The only one who ran faster than me on the run yesterday. He loves running, getting away from everything with those long legs. I'll cut them off one day.