Chapter 24--Livable

"Hi," I say, stupidly.

"Hi," Ziggy says, standing in the doorway.

"I just----I really don't know I'm sorry, I'm just going to go," I say, stepping back and turning to go.

"No—don't. I'm glad you came. I was sort of upset our talk in the woods got interrupted," he says, smiling a little.

"Me too, that's why I came-- then I---"

"Felt like you shouldn't be here?" he asks.

"Yeah------But I should let you go---and---sleep and---throw up or---whatever you were going to do tonight I really don't want to impose," I say, stepping back again.

"No it's fine---it's just fine I've thrown up it's good---I wasn't doing anything," he says.

"But, we do have to get up early," I say.

"Yeah, yeah we do," he says.

"And I've got the cadets to watch and---I should keep an eye on them. Titus is really mean to them," I say.

"Yeah and that would follow."

"So I should go."

"Yeah."

We both stand there looking at each other. Then he leans forward and kisses me.

"I'm sorry I---" he says, "I didn't mean---"

"No really the only reason I came was so you could do that," I say.

"Okay, good that was why I was hoping you'd come."

"Yeah okay."

"Okay," he says, smiling.

"Goodnight," I say, backing away, for good this time.

"Goodnight," he says, smiling.

**

"Ooo, got to love a woman with an axe."

"Shut up it's not like I live in the Ritz," Jo says, locking the door behind me and setting down a large axe.

"No I just love that that's how you answer the door---hello nutcase," I say, cocking my head at Lizzie who is sitting upside down on a chair trying to levitate the sofa. She's getting it up in bits but not evenly.

"I brought dinner," I say, holding up a greasy paper bag.

"Cool, thanks," Jo says, kissing my cheeks and taking it, "Better than what we typically eat, eh Liz?"

"Yeah," the little girl says.

"What were you up to all day?" Jo asks, going to get plates out.

"Mucking about in the flat, mostly," I say, "Also, I decided on my next career."

"Stalking me?" Jo asks.

"Tempting but no, I'm going to try to get a job with mechanics, that's what I was always good at and my university studies have to count for something," I say.

"You didn't want to be a pilot?" she asks.

"No, never. Hated the idea, I didn't mind being a gunner, it was all angles, precision, plus you know, getting to shoot the bad guys, but I was always good at machines and things," I say, wheeling my chair over to the table. Lizzie army crawls over to examine it. She hasn't seen me in it as much.

"That's rotten. I'd always assumed they let you pick," she says.

"No, needs of the Space Force. I think my mum is glad I'm well out of it, in a way. I mean obviously she doesn't want me injured but she never liked me being in Space, even though she knew it was the best career I could have," I say, taking out my tablet.