Chapter 26--A charming notion

"Your move," I sit at the foot of Billy's hospital bed, playing chess with him. He's dying so I let him win. I don't think he can tell I'm letting him win, but if he can then he'll know it's out of affection.

"I'm kinda tired," Billy says, yawning and leaning back. He has oxygen running into his nose and an IV to his arm. He can't eat anymore so they have a g-tube in his stomach. He's shown it to me. it's nice and gross.

"Okay," I say, leaning back a little, "Do you wanna watch something on the tablet?"

"No," he says, slumping down, "I'd like to sleep a little if that's okay."

"Yeah, I'll go get ice cream from the cafeteria," I say, agreeably, picking up the chess board.

"You don't have to spend the whole day with me," he says.

"I want to," I say. Nobody else is. And that doesn't feel right. I know he doesn't like being alone. so I'm with him and he's not alone.

"It's a nice day out, I know you like going to the park," he says, but his eyes are drifting closed.

"I'll go outside while you nap, then we'll play some more," I say, hopping up and going to the door, "Just go ahead and sleep."

"Okay," he says.

His nurse walks in past me as I go out. she smiles a little. She thinks I'm a good friend. I smile too because I'm little and look sweet. As soon as I round the corner, I tap my wrist pad and turn on my earbud.

"We have to do something," I say, a soon as I hear the buzz that it's been answered.

"I'm assuming you are referring to your dying little friend Billy?" my dad asks, "Or something to do with your exams or is it far too hope, my love life?"

"Major Tom still isn't talking to you?" I confirm, sympathetically since he's been concerned about that since before I could walk.

"No, thank you for your not at all heart-felt concern," he says, "Now, since our combined intellect cannot do anything about that situation, what is your current problem?"

"Billy's still all alone. He doesn't mention it anymore, but I know he wishes his parents even cared," I say, sadly.

"I tried, Tess, neither of them left information on the website," he says, sympathetically, "Their information was old, the addresses were no longer valid, at this point any attempt to track them down would end in rejection anyway."

"We still have to do something. Since Aiden died I'm the only person who's here for him---"

"Aren't there like, teachers or somebody who is supposed to provide empathy to you---?" he asks.

"Yes, they come sometimes, but it's their job and he knows it. And I'm as emotionally supportive as a bag of rocks," I sigh, coming to the end of the hall and looking out the windows.

"Poor analogy, pick a better one," he says.

"Sack of small lumps of ingenious substrate?" I offer.

"Better, moving on, I understand your concern however it is well known that simply a familiar presence can be comforting and in fact create a bond---"

"He's manifested a familial attachment and little else will do he's dying---"

"So it's going to be over soon---"

"So he should get at least one wish; he wants a family. What would you want somebody to do if you and I didn't have each other----like if you died or something, and I was alone?" I ask.