Chapter 42--All's Well?

So, being attacked by angry firemen is not pleasant. I feel bad for fires. In the firemen's defense, they had no idea we were down there nor did they have any reason to think we might be down there. But I still couldn't walk or see properly for about two hours since the pressurized stream of foam threw me halfway across the entire energy room and into a duct. My only consolation was that Titus was thrown the entire way across the energy room and into the opposite wall and then he was pounced on and hand cuffed. Apparently they thought he was mad bomber. No idea where they got that idea considering he had an IED in his hands. But whatever.

My mother had shown up for the ceremony, which was needless to say postponed due to the entire academics building burning down. A little of it blew up too. Apparently Titus and I didn't find all the explosives.

Oh speaking of Titus, his family never showed up. I feel bad. I know, I know. Don't worry I still hate him. but it was sort of lonely to see him standing there, bandaged up, one arm in a sling, eating cake and drinking milk and reading off of a tablet, while everyone else reunited and laughed and smiled and talked. He was alone. I didn't wish that loneliness on anyone.

**

"I can't believe you're safe."

"Mum you can let go now," Quentin says, wiggling a little. He's got a bandage on his head and he's a bit scrapped up, his neck is badly bruised, but he's blessedly and wonderfully ALIVE.

"Don't scare me like that," I say, feeling tears in my eyes, "I can't lose you. not my sweet Quentin."

"Not me too?" he asks, quietly, as I finally let him go to look at him.

"No, not you. you sweet, wonderful, handsome you," I say, stroking his cheek, "My beautiful boy, don't you ever, dare, think you're not worth it or no good or it's all too hard because you, just you, are made of the best stuff in the universe."

"I love you mum," he says, hugging me again, his voice cracking with tears, "Love you forever."

"Love you forever," I whisper.

**

"Hello, mum," Liesel says, awkwardly, the words strange on her lips. I'm standing in the corner of her hospital room, looking signed and as invisible as possible. Liesel didn't even really ask why I came, so I really didn't say anything I'm good at that. I only just got out of the exam room myself, I'm banged up pretty good but apparently my head can't be damaged because there's not enough in it to break, so you know, I'm fine. I just forced my way in here and started quizzing her to make sure she was all right, which she seemed to appreciate as annoying as it probably was. now her mum and sisters have been brought in to see her.

"Hello," her mother says, staring at her sweet daughter so small and frail looking in the bed. her other two daughters stand behind her, in matching dresses, their Sunday best no doubt, both holding little bouquets of flowers for their big sister. I smile a little. A real family. Here I stand in the corner in a grey-shirt, black cargos, with my hair and face burned up a bit and my eyes bloodshot and running from the fire suppressant foam. Well I started out the day looking presentable.

"What happened? Are you okay?

"Was it exciting?"

The two little girls break the ice, hopping eagerly onto their big sister's bead and giving her the flowers.

"A little, it was a bit scary too," Liesel says, hugging them as much as she can, they've got her well bandaged up to prevent infection in the burns. But her eyes are bright, she's feeling much more herself than she was a few hours ago. "I couldn't wait to meet you guys."