Chapter 21--Hey at least we're not in the brig

I don't know why they sent for my mum. It's not like she has the time and she can never take off work and I've assured them I'm fine now and I know they know because they heard me and they answered. I'd suppose they don't want me losing my mind on their watch, but so far insanity doesn't seem to be a primary concern of theirs otherwise I don't feel like I'd be in this situation. As it is, I've got detention duties thanks to that idiot Titus, who is sleeping away in the hospital blissfully he'll do his precious night in the brig tomorrow I honestly think he likes it in there. I've no idea why and I don't honestly care I just wish he'd stop defacing my guidon and putting it on the roof. It's getting on my nerves.

"How's it coming?" Thorn, the alcoholic MTI who they've assigned me to, asks. My duty is I'm supposed to be cleaning the laundry room. Titus is supposed to be doing it with me but he's not 'cause he's off being him in the hospital probably terrorizing the staff and getting served ice cream in bed and reading a book all at the same time. I've seen the way he stares hungrily at our tablets. He's not got one his family's poorer as mine I'm sure. And with all those big words he knows I'm sure he loves to read. If he weren't such a moron I'd feel sorry for him.

"Sir, quite well," I say, sitting up from where I've been fishing lint out from behind a dryer.

"Oh sit down and rest a minute, I've got you for another hour and it looks quite good. Drink some water," he says, looking up from what he's reading. He's sitting on top of dryer reading and ostensibly watching me but I get the feeling he's lonely and wants to have a conversation. I'm not very good at talking to people in case you hadn't noticed.

"Yes, sir," I say, sitting down and taking a drink from my canteen.

"Good, you work hard, Leavitt. I'm sorry about the bother earlier and the IA guys giving you their usual routine," he says, setting down his tablet. He does want to talk. Damn.

"Sir, I'm well now, they don't need to send for my mum she's got work---"

"They've excused her from work. Think of it as a treat since you've had such a rotten time what with the business with the pies," he says.

"Sir, I'd sooner she not get in trouble," I say.

"I'll call her work, see that she doesn't," he says, frowning, "Is it just you and her?"

"Sir, and my little sister," I say.

"Did you ever know your father?" he asks.

"No, sir, our mother doesn't talk about him; my sister's dad left before she was born," I say.

"Did you get on with him?" he asks.

"Sir, he didn't like me and my brother. He said we were noisy and my mum got cross with him for that. I think she only got with him because we needed the money. My mum and he had a big fight, I didn't hear all of it, I curled up on my bed with my pillow over my ears because I didn't like them fighting. And then he was gone, and we had to go to a smaller place. My sister was born a while later, near Christmas. I got really scared 'cause I had to be alone and my mum was in hospital for days," I say, tracing the grout with my finger. Nobody knows this. But he doesn't seem bad. And I want him to help my mum keep her job, he's being kind to me. I can try to talk to people. "By the time she got home, with the baby, we'd eaten all the food and we had to go out shopping and get some, and I remember, my sister was so tiny mum let me hold her while she got the food. I was happy then, to have a little sister for Christmas. She was so little, thought she was a present for me, you know? I got to have her in my room and hold her and everything. Don't think her dad ever knew she existed. Don't suppose he deserved to, you know?"