XXXIX

"She did what?"

"She called him the f-slur." Isaac said, putting his arms around me in a comforting way. Alexa gaped at us, eyes almost popping out of her skull. "Holy shit."

Gabe passed us and shot me a concerned look. "I'll be back." I said and let go of Isaac. I called Gabe's name and his head whipped around to meet my eyes. "Yeah?" He asked and I stopped in front of him. "I-"

"I'm sorry," He said and I frowned. "I mean, for last week, totally inappropriate that I kissed you. I didn't know I made you uncomfortable, I should've asked you about-"

"It's okay," I said and he let out a long sigh. "Really?" I nodded and he looked at Isaac over my shoulder. "He won't kill me?" Gabe asked and I laughed, shaking my head. "Not if you don't kiss me again."

"Friends?" He asked, extending his hand. I grabbed his hand, pulling him into a hug. "Friends." He awkwardly hugged me back, chuckling. "My Mom said she's sad you left so soon, she really wants to talk to you more."

"I'll come around some time, okay?" I asked and he nodded. "You're always welcome."

I waved at him, making my way back to my friends. "What was that?" Chris asked and I shrugged. "I just talked to him about a little something," I said and he nodded. "Okay, well, I have Math and practice after, I won't be here for lunch, see you after school?" Chris asked me and I nodded. He kissed Alexa goodbye and fistbumped Isaac. "Alright, I have History, you too, right?" Alexa asked Isaac, whom nodded. "Yes, let's go?"

Alexa hugged me and Isaac kissed my cheek. "See ya," I said, turning around, bumping into Carter. "Oh, sorry," He said, holding me steady. "Haven't seen you in a while." I said and he grinned sheepishly. "Uhm, well-"

"How's Cass?" I asked and he smiled. "Great," He said. "Still as beautiful as ever."

I grinned. "Okay, loverboy."

He flushed bright red. "Shut up."

"It's cute, don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

He stuck out his tongue. "See you later, Carter." I said, shooting him a peace sign as I walked away. I entered my biology class, spending the next few hours in the same classroom.

Chris and I headed to his house, deciding it had been long enough since we'd last hung out. "So, how are you and Alexa?" I asked, making him smile instantly. "We're doing great, honestly, I can't believe we were able to deny our feelings so long." He said, unlocking his front door. "I mean, was I that blind or...?"

"Sometimes you're just a bit slow, Chris." I said and he shot me a glare. "My Mom won't be home until late, she's working her night shift as well tonight." He said, throwing his keys onto the counter in his kitchen. "How are you and Isaac?" He asked and I grinned. "We're good."

"So, when will y'all go out? You've been going on dates since September, we're mid January." He said and I sighed. "I'm still not eighteen yet."

"You're still fucking him, aren't you?" He asked and I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, I am."

He laughed, shaking his head. "I'm just saying, I expect him to ask you to be your girlfriend by the time your birthday comes around."

I licked my lips. "I mean, it feels like we're dating already." I said and he nodded. "I think everyone thinks that way."

"It's weird, isn't it? Everything changed in a matter of three years." I said and he frowned. "I mean, three years ago I was dating Carter, you were dating Olivia, I didn't even know Joey, I was still sad about Gabe leaving town. Now-"

"Now you're dating a twenty year old and I'm dating your best friend, Gabe is back, Joey is dating Olivia and Carter is dating Cassidy." He finished my sentence. I suddenly felt dizzy, looking around the room. "I think I'm gonna be sick." I said and quickly made my way to the bathroom. I threw up, Chris hurrying after me, pulling my hair back. "What's wrong?"