63

By the time they'd finished, paid for everything, and gotten home, it was fairly late in the afternoon, and Louis was exhausted. They'd decided against giving him a nap today, knowing he'd struggle sleeping tonight, but trying to keep him awake all evening would definitely prove to be a challenge!

The afternoon had been spent making snowman paper chains, introducing Buttons to his giant dragon, and lots of cuddles.

Cutting into his birthday cake did perk him up a fair bit, the amount of sugar in the chocolate cake going straight to his head!

Louis had loved blowing out his candles, and when asked by Zayn what he'd wished for, Louis had adorably said,

"But I already have everything I want daddy."

Harry had hugged him tightly, before excusing himself and walking out, dabbing his eyes, now wet with tears. It had been an emotional day for everyone!

It had been an innocent comment, but it had touched their hearts.

Louis was more giggly than usual after his cake, which he had somehow gotten everywhere, including on his forehead. Buttons had been kept far away from Louis while he was eating, knowing how upset he would be if he got dirty and had to be washed.

Louis was less than happy with the arrangement, but ultimately couldn't resist the temptation of birthday cake, and the promise of cuddles with Buttons later.

Soon enough though, it was nearing Louis' bedtime, and he was yawning adorably around his dummy, which kept falling out as a result.

Rubbing his eyes with a curled up fist to try and fight off sleep, Louis desperately wanted to stay awake to see Santa come down the fireplace.

A quick nappy change later, and Louis was changed into his elf onesie ready for bed, whilst Buttons was dressed in his night time outfit by Harry, at Louis' request.

He was still fighting sleep at this point, and the boys knew they had their work cut out for them!

He whined as they tried to settle him in the crib, eyes watery as he reached his arms straight back up for his daddies.

Liam cooed and retrieved Louis, who settled fairly quickly, draping his arms around Liams neck, Buttons still clutched firmly in his hands.

"Don't you want to go to bed darling, ready for Christmas tomorrow?" Liam asked, gently rocking him in his arms.

"Not tired daddy" Louis whined, but his cuddly nature and drooping eyes told a different story.

"No? How about you come downstairs with us then, while we work on a new song?" Liam proposed, which Louis nodded sleepily at, going limp in Liams arms, happy knowing he could stay awake.

Louis was aware of the band they were in, as it was common for one or two of them to leave every day, only for a little while, to sort out contracts or signings. Plus they were constantly singing or humming around the house! So it was expected for him to ask what they did, which they told him, in simple terms of course.

"Hey sweetie, how come you're still up?" Niall asked, moving his guitar to one side as Liam walked them both into the living room.

"Daddy said I could help" Louis replied, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

"Oh he did, did he?" Niall asked, scowling at Liam for giving in to Louis so easily. Liam avoided his eyes, clearing his throat awkwardly.

"Have you had a good birthday darling?" Zayn asked, as Liam placed him onto his lap.

Louis nodded quickly, thanking his daddies again, as he curled into Zayn, smiling as a soft fluffy blanket was draped around the both of them.

"Wanna see Santa again daddy" Louis murmured, breaking off into another yawn.

"Well Santa is going to be super busy tonight darling, and don't you want to be a good boy for him, and go to sleep?"

Louis shook his head stubbornly, moving so he could see the fireplace. It had been decorated with their personalised stockings, the bottom covered in Christmas cards, from family and friends.

Louis gasped suddenly, making Zayn jump and tighten his grip on him.

"Daddy we forgot cookies!"

The boys looked at each other, unsure how each of them had completely forgotten the all important task of putting out milk and cookies for Santa - the excitement of the day obviously taking everyone's attention away!

"Oh no Lou you're right! Do you want to go help daddy H in the kitchen?" Louis nodded, struggling slightly to take the blanket off, before following Harry into the kitchen.

Niall, Liam and Zayn set themselves up on the sofa, the coffee table adorned with sheet music and snacks. They hadn't had much time alone together lately, and figured tonight was as good as any to do a bit of writing, plus hopefully the music would help lull Louis to sleep.

Speaking of Louis, he and Harry walked back in a few minutes later, Harry bent awkwardly to 'help' hold the plate, so Louis didn't drop anything.

It was carefully placed on the bottom of the hearth, next to the fireplace, filled with the few remaining gingerbread cookies, a glass of milk, and a carrot - for the reindeer.

"Yay we made it daddy!"

"Sure did buddy!" Harry replied enthusiastically, before scooping up Louis, peppering his face with kisses.

"Daddy can you turn it on so Santa warm when he comes?" Louis asked, gesturing to the fireplace, which Harry agreed to easily, leaning down to turn it on once Louis was situated safely on the couch.

"But, have to ... Have to make it go away before Santa comes" Louis reminded him, yawning part way through.

"I will darling, don't worry" Harry promised, sitting next to Louis on the couch, placing him on his lap.

"Hmm you just gave me an idea Lou!" Zayn told him excitedly, scribbling onto a random piece of paper, Niall reading as he wrote.

"I did?" Louis asked cutely, nibbling slightly on Buttons: ear, before Harry gave him a pacifier.

"You sure did buddy!"

Louis settled onto Harry's lap, relaxed by Harry's voice, and warm arms, as Zayn started on this new idea, which materialised into a song very quickly.

An hour later, two bottles, lots of cuddles and singing, and 'We Made It' was born.
It needed fine tuning still, and some studio time to iron out the details, but the basics for it were there.

Louis had long since fallen asleep by then, sound asleep on Harry, who was gently playing with his hair, and lightly rubbing his stomach, looking absolutely precious.

A few more photos were taken of him, to add to their collage from today, before he was carried upstairs, and tucked into his crib, with Buttons and his reindeer plush.

Their first birthday with Louis had been amazing, everyone throughly enjoying themselves, and they couldn't wait to spend tomorrow with him as well.

AN:

And that's how we made it was born, if we pretend you can write a song that quickly ...

Long one to make up for the delayed updates lately, hope you liked it, love reading everyone's comments!

Stay safe :)