68

Zayn's POV:

"Da ... Daddyyy!"

I woke up to a hushed sob coming through the baby monitor, so faint I thought I'd imagined it.

But no, after hearing it again I forced myself to wake up properly, trying not jostle the bed too much.

The others hadn't woken,  unsurprisingly, seeing as we all seemed to be able to sleep through pretty much anything. Though to be fair, I was usually the last awake.

I wriggled out from under Niall's arm, turning off the baby monitor so as not to wake the others.

I was pretty tired myself, hopefully he just wanted a cuddle and a bottle ...

Walking into the nursery I was met with a very unpleasant smell though, from a very upset little boy.

"Oh sweetheart what happened?" I gasped, seeing his flushed cheeks, his hands covering his tummy as he curled into himself. The sheets had been crumpled into a corner, and there was a clear wet patch on them, though I wasn't too sure what had happened.

I turned on the small table lamp, struggling to see from the dim glow of his night light, as he cried harder, reaching out for me.

"Oh sweetheart come here, you're okay, you're okay, daddies got you!" I rambled, trying to calm him down as I fumbled around with the side of the crib, the stupid thing not wanting to open.

Trying not to cover my nose as I picked him up, not wanting to upset him further, I had to breathe through my mouth as I tried to calm him down. At least enough so that he'd let me change him.

"Aw darling you're okay, think you've got an upset tummy hm?"

He didn't really stop crying, but I couldn't leave him in his dirty nappy any longer, so I reluctantly pried his hands off of me and placed him on the changing table. His little cries were breaking my heart, and I passed him that build a bear teddy he liked, to distract him. Bubbles I think he called it? Or Buttons? Yeah that sounded right.

"Here babes, Buttons wants you to stop crying see? You want to be a brave little boy for me?"

It didn't seem to really calm him down all that much, but he was mellow enough I could undress him pretty easily.

I immediately regretted ever getting out of bed as I undid his sleeper and diaper, deciding a bath was an absolute must. Even if it was four in the morning and I needed a coffee. But Louis, the little angel, would obviously have to come first.

I tried to get the worst of it off of him, but the wipes weren't really helping anything, especially seeing as his nappy hadn't completely done its job, his sleeper being thrown straight into the trash.

"Come here darling, let's go get clean in the bath!" I cooed, cautiously picking him up, mindful of his sensitive tummy.

"Oh I know you're tired sweetie, I'll be quick darling" I promised after hearing him whine, his eyes filling with tears again. He seemed more tired than anything though, he was probably just upset he couldn't go back to bed.

He wasn't the only one!

I turned the shower head on and stood him up in the tub, he had his head rested on my shoulder, and was leaning his entire weight against me as I started washing his back, bum and legs.

"Feel icky daddy!" Louis whined as I supported him, helping him stay standing.

"Don't worry sweetie you're okay, daddy will make you all better!"

I didn't bother giving him a full bath, his hair didn't need doing, I was sure it would just upset him more.

When he finally smelled all cute, of vanilla and strawberries, I wrapped him up in a fluffy towel, quickly drying him.

He seemed okay now, the odd sniffle still breaking out, but he wasn't crying anymore, and I was sure he'd go back to sleep now.

Except I couldn't put him back in his crib until it, and the room, had been deep cleaned/sterilised/ destroyed, or all three. And I should probably give him a bottle, and maybe check his temperature. And he almost definitely would want more cuddles in the state he'd worked himself into.

Being a daddy was hard work, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

AN:
Two updates in two days, wow what a shocker, but I really enjoyed writing the start of this one, thanks for the prompt JOExOG, it'll carry on into the next one too.

Thank you all for your comments and support, love reading them all!

Stay safe :)