47

"Daddy! Daddies!" Louis' cries echoed through the baby monitor. The distress evident in his shaky voice.

Downstairs, in the living room, Liam and Niall looked at each other in shock, both from the sudden noise, and from Louis' apparent slip into his headspace. Zayn and Harry had left for a signing not too long before, still having to fulfill their end of the contract for the next few days.

They rushed upstairs in concern, worried about what they would find. Niall ran in first, seeing Louis crying for his daddies into his blanket.

"Oh darling boy what happened?" Niall fussed, lowering the crib railings as Liam made a move to pick him up.

He looked absolutely distraught, his eyes and cheeks puffy and red from his cries.

Louis whined in protest at being removed from the blanket, which he had clearly been suckling on judging from the chewed corner.

"Daddy" He sobbed into Liams neck, still looking half asleep.

"You're okay darling, I'm here, you're okay baby" Liam cooed into his ear, trying to calm him down.

Louis had wrapped his arms around Liams neck and was crying freely into his neck, clinging to him firmly.

Liam hugged the boy close to him, gently patting his bottom to try and calm him down, as Niall rubbed his back, trying their best to soothe him.

"What happened angel?" Liam asked gently, after his cries had died down a bit.

"Bad ... Bad dweam!" Louis hiccuped, looking close to tears again.

"You're okay darling, big deep breaths for me, " Liam calmed him down, his voice almost instantly helping Louis to relax again.

They waited until Louis looked less like he was going to cry again, knowing they needed to have him calm before they changed his nappy. Liam had noticed straight away, but they couldn't do anything for him whilst he was this upset.

"Tired daddy" Louis whimpered into his ear, shifting around until he was cuddled into him even more.

"I know baby, just going to get you changed and then we can cuddle downstairs hm?" Liam cooed, walking slowly towards the changing table.

Louis had worn himself out by this point, and allowed himself to be lowered onto the padded top of the table, shivering slightly as he left the warmth of Liams arms.

"Cold!" He squealed, wriggling around to try and get up, being stopped by Niall gently laying him back down.

"I know sweetie, almost done." Liam promised, working quickly to get him cleaned up.

Niall decided to distract him as best he could, and was pulling funny faces at him, hoping to make him laugh. He elicited a cheeky grin out of the boy, and Louis reached his hand out to poke Niall's dimple.

At this, Niall gasped dramatically, before playfilly pretending to bite his finger.

"Nooo!" Louis laughed, quickly withdrawing his hand.

Liam finished by that point, taping up the new diaper, shaking his head with a fond smile towards the boy.

"All done Lou! What do you want to wear lovey?" Liam asked, as Niall blew a raspberry onto the boys stomach, making him giggle again.

"Dunno daddy" Louis replied easily, making Liam smile with how relaxed he was.

"How about this super cool Tigger onesie?" Liam held up the orange onesie, which Louis grinned at.

"It has a tail!" He exclaimed, allowing Liam to dress him in said outfit.

"Yep you've got a tail just like Tigger!" Liam laughed, zipping up the footed onesie and lifting him off the changing table.

Niall laughed hysterically as Louis turned round to try and see the tail, pouting when he couldn't.

"So, when your other daddies get back we were thinking of putting up the Christmas tree! What do you think baby?" Niall asked, after kissing his cheek, having picked him up and put him on his hip.

"We get a tree?!" Louis shrieked into his ear, Niall grimacing at the volume.

"Inside voices please Louis" Liam reminded him gently.

"Yes darling, we can go out and pick a giant one to decorate!" Niall continued, his gestures and voice making Louis smile, nodding his head giddily.

"Tree today?" Louis asked again, in disbelief.

"Yes darling, as soon as they get back" Liam chucked, ruffling his hair.

What Liam and Niall didn't realise is that in the last three years, he hadn't celebrated Christmas, living in and out of shelters and the streets. Even when he was with his mum, they'd never made a big deal about it, as a single mother she'd struggled to afford presents, and he couldn't remember putting a tree up before.

"Getting a tree!" Louis squealed again, sticking his thumb in his mouth as he wriggled around in excitement.

"Sparklies too?" Louis asked cutely.

"Yeah baby we'll put some sparkly lights on too!" Liam cooed, getting Louis even more excited about it.

"Sparkly tree!" Louis giggled, mumbling to himself about it as Niall carried him into the living room, both boys unable to contain their smiles at Louis' excitement, his smile and laughter infectious.