48

Humming to himself, Louis started playing with the car set next to him.

Niall had placed him in the playpen now set up in the living room, but Louis had instantly cried to get out, wanting to be close to him. His face had crumpled when he realised he couldn't reach either of them, and Niall had instantly taken pity on him, removing him straight away. Not that he was spoiled.

"Do you want a dummy Lou?" Niall asked, noticing his thumb kept gravitating towards his mouth.

Louis looked up but simply shrugged absentmindedly, picking up a small police car and "arresting" one of the other cars.

It was really amusing for Niall and Liam to watch, and see how imaginative he was in his headspace.

He did seem to be getting tired of the cars though, Niall noticed, the way he kept looking around, lost in thought apparently.

With this in mind, he walked over to the kitchen, to grab Louis a dummy, and a very healthy snack of apple slices.

Louis watched him with every step he took, clearly nervous, and it dawned on them how anxious he seemed in his headspace. Last time he hadn't seemed so on edge, and they knew it must be the after effects of his nightmare. Not that they knew exactly what his nightmare was about, but they could hedge a fairly good guess.

"Daddy!" Louis shrieked as Liam snuck up behind him, lifting him in his arms. He'd been so focused on Niall he hadn't heard footsteps creeping up behind him.

"Hi cheeky boy, ready for a snack? And maybe even a Christmas movie?" Liam asked, kissing his cheek.

Louis nodded excitedly, and was dropped by Liam unceremoniously onto the couch, making him gasp, before smiling and climbing onto Liams lap.

"What do you wanna watch darling?"

"Hmm ... What about the Polar Express, or the Grinch who stole Christmas?" Liam pondered out loud to himself, not really expecting a response.

"No!" Louis gasped dramatically, making the man jump at the unexpected outburst.

"No steal Chrissymas! Daddy said sparkly tree!" Louis whimpered, turning around until he was straddling Liams thighs, and wrapping his arms round him in a bear hug.

"It's just the name of a movie baby, it's not real!" Liam cooed, reassuring the upset boy.

"But ... But no steal?" Louis asked, sucking his thumb tentatively.

"No darling, don't worry, we'll watch something else, nobody likes the mean old Grinch anyways." Liam rambled, settling on Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas to watch.

"Mickey!" Louis pointed, having turned round at Liams gentle prompting to see one of his favourite Disney characters.

"Yeah darling, do you like Mickey?" Liam asked, realising he didn't know too much about what type of toys or shows Louis would like.

"Mickey." Louis nodded, as if to confirm that he did indeed like the character.

It was strange for Liam, and Niall who had just walked in, to see how differently he acted now. His voice and actions so much more childlike.

Liam repositioned the boy so he was sat up on his lap, so that he could eat the apple slices Niall had just brought in for him. Louis accepted them gratefully, nibbling on a slice as Liam wrapped his arms around him, hugging him close.

It was nice for the three of them just to sit and relax, and learn a bit more about what Louis liked, and how he acted in his headspace. After all, he was theirs now, their little boy to cherish and look after.

AN - sorry for such a late update, been really busy, sure you all know how the holidays can be! If anyone has any ideas of what they want to see in the next few chapters feel free to comment, and thanks for reading :)