25

Zayn carried Louis downstairs after changing him into his onesie, the boy looking adorable with his slightly messy hair.

Louis was placed on the floor, next to Harry, around the games which had been set up by Liam, and near the speaker which was quietly playing a classical playlist.

Harry moved his arm around Louis' shoulders, Louis instantly snuggling into his side. The others tried to hide their fond smiles at this, loving how much more comfortable Louis was around them.

Niall walked into the cute scene from the kitchen, resisting the urge to take a photo. He placed a tray of snacks and drinks on the coffee table, and had just prepared Louis' night time bottle, leaving it in the fridge.

"So we've got Snakes and Ladders, Candyland, Uno and Guess Who to play. You want to choose one to start us off?" Liam asked Louis.

Louis was feeling a little overwhelmed with the choices and shook his head, content with cuddling further into Harry.

Harry grinned at the boy, before asking "How about snakes and ladders? A nice easy one to start us off yeah".

Louis agreed easily, watching as they started setting it up, moving the other games to one side.

"What colour do you wanna be Lou?"

"Umm green please" Louis asked politely.

Harry passed him the requested piece, and Louis looked up at him, commenting, "same colour as your eyes!".

Harry couldn't hold back his fond smile, curling the boy further into his side, kissing the top of his head lightly.

They played a couple of rounds, making easy conversation with Louis. Like finding out his love for pizza, and that his favourite band were The Fray.

After a while though the conversation, almost inevitably, turned to Louis' background.

"Well um, a couple of years ago my um, my mum passed. I was only fifteen so nobody would give me a job, and someone came and kicked me out when I couldn't pay rent." Louis answered quietly, to Liams question about how he'd ended up on the streets.

"Social services didn't help you?" Niall asked, astonished.

"Well they came round a couple of times and I didn't answer the door, and then I don't know, never really saw them. By the time the landlord kicked me out I was almost sixteen so they wouldn't do anything anyways." Louis told him matter of factly, clearly used to fending for himself.

They had a lot of questions for Louis, but were trying not to pry too much, not wanting him to clam up.

"And you had nobody else you could stay with?" Niall asked cautiously.

"Well I never knew my dad, and I'm an only child. My mums parents sorted the funeral, but they never really liked me, they didn't say much to me at the funeral. And I was never too popular in school so I couldn't really stay at any of my friends for more than a night or so." He replied honestly, closing his eyes as he relived memories which he had repressed for years.

Niall was about to apologise for asking, and change the subject, but Louis carried on, clearly needing to get it off his chest.

"They always hated me, said I was lazy and that it was my fault my father left. I only saw them a couple of times, at Christmas mainly." Louis paused, thinking of how cruel they had been.

"And it was difficult! I tried getting a job so much, honest!" He told them, as if he was worried they'd be annoyed with him.

"But they all said I was too young and should be in school, but mum got sicker so I didn't go much, and then I was just so sad it was hard to go round and keep getting rejected by everyone." He trailed off, almost in tears, only being able to remember how lonely he'd felt, so upset and completely alone.

Louis had been treated so unfairly in his life, and their hearts just broke at his confession of how alone he was in the world.

Harry placed him on his lap, wrapping his arms protectively around him and wiping his tears.

As he calmed down, the boys made a silent promise to never let him feel that way again.