THIRTY

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Just like any other day, Genevieve woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep. The time? 5:17 exactly. Except this time when she woke, it wasn't because of her own mind, but because she had woke up from something knocking over in her room.

There was a rustle from inside Genevieve's bedroom and now she was sitting still in her bed, as if imitating a log and trying her hardest not to think about all the worst case scenarios. Trying however is just a word, and she wasn't really doing much of that. So far she had narrowed it down to three options:

1) A Death Eater had snuck in and was going to murder her.

2) Anna was playing a prank that James had taught her.

3) It was the wind, and the human-like figure perched in the corner of her room was just a pile of clothes.

So far she was leaning towards option number three, but who said it couldn't have been option two or one?

Shaky breaths fell from Genevieve's lips and she could feel her heartbeat trying to beat its way out of her chest.

Another shuffle.

Option number 3 was now officially off the list. While she was crossing that off, she thought it best to cross option number 2 off as well. Anna would have already gave herself away.

Genevieve's eyes widened a fraction when she felt the right side of her bed dip downwards. It's just the family cat. They didn't own a cat, Mary was allergic to them.

Genevieve stopped breathing. No sound came from her, not even a single whimper or a frightened gulp. She could have been mistaken for dead if anyone saw her right now. I'll probably end up dead soon anyway, she thought to herself. She suddenly remembered what day it was: August 23rd.

Oh would you look at that, I'm dying on my birthday!

She scrapped the previous list of options from her mind and formed a new instead.

1) Turn around and look her murderer in the eyes and except fate.

2) Turn around and try to gamble her way out of death.

3) Don't turn around at all - her murderer might be ugly. Imagine seeing an ugly face for your last one.

She decided to go with option 1.

While keeping her eyes sealed tightly shut, Genevieve rolled over so she was lying on her other side, all the previous tension from her left shoulder being released as she put all her weight down on her right one.

With one last breath that she thought may well be her last, she opened her eyes.

"G'morning!"

Genevieve screamed in a way she never knew she could before, her eyebrows rocketing upwards in shock. She scrambled backwards in attempt to get away from the other person, ending up in a shrivelled heap on the wooden floor beneath her and and her backside feeling bruised.