FORTY FOUR

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

On the morning of the Hogsmeade trip, Hogwarts had been coated in a thick layer of snow overnight, and in the morning the snowflakes had still not stopped falling. Lily had dragged Marlene, Genevieve and Alice out of the warmth of their duvet covered beds and had guided them to window just to see it. Alice and Genevieve were impressed, but Marlene made sure to cast her evils and get straight back into bed.

This was the first problem. Lily had to wake Genevieve up. Usually it was the other way around due to Genevieve's habit of waking up early, but recently she had been waking up so late that she had to skip breakfast and just go straight to first period.

The second problem was that Remus had made no move to talk to Genevieve despite her attempts at conversation. He barely ever looked at her. Everyone knew that Remus had a cold side so icy that it could leave you with permanent frostbite, but Genevieve had never thought that she would have been on the receiving end.

James, Sirius and Peter were more than conflicted. They were the most confused they had ever been. Two crucial people in their lives were in a one-sided argument that was sure to carry on until Christmas, something they had never experienced or expected. They all felt the same guilt, there was nothing confusing about that. Remus had closed Genevieve out of his life almost instantly and pinned the blame on her, but they played as big a part in her transitions as she did.

"You do realise that we were the ones who told Genevieve to do this, right? You're being unfair to her by still talking to us," James had said one breakfast after watching Remus prod around his cereal.

"Genevieve has been your friend since first year. She should know better than to do what you say," Remus had replied.

"So you're saying she should do what you say?" James retorted, raising an eyebrow.

"No, that's not at all what I mean," Remus said. "Genevieve has an amazing mind of her own. Even if I tried telling her what to do, which I wouldn't because I don't own her, I doubt she would listen. Either that, or she would offer me out for a fight. I just think that maybe she should have thought things through."

"But don't you see, Moony? You're pinning the blame on her when she wasn't fully responsible. It isn't fair."

Remus had pretended not to hear and carried on reading the Daily Prophet.

James had scoffed and left the table, leaving the others in a dreary silence, a silence that would of easily been broken if Genevieve had been sat with them. She had started sitting over at the Hufflepuff table, Toby at her side and Bradley across from her. Occasionally they would see her glance over her shoulder with tired eyes, and then one of the boys would catch her doing this, and then she would smile weakly before turning and engrossing herself back in the conversation with Bradley and Toby. Everyone except Remus saw her doing this.