SIXTY FOUR

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Hogsmeade was only a trip away. Luckily for James, Sirius and Peter, Genevieve and Remus had finally made up. There were no more looks of longing between them or teenage angst lingering around them in a cloud. This resumed friendship made the whole Hogsmeade ordeal less awkward for them as they could go in a group.

Except James had somewhat other plans. "I'm going to ask Evans out on a date," he whispered to his partner, Sirius, in transfiguration.

Sirius slammed his head against his desk. The sound rang out loudly throughout the silent classroom. "Godric knows how many times I've heard that sentence." He turned his head to the side. "And Godric knows how many times I've had to watch you fail."

"Sometimes I imagine what it's like to have supportive friends," James muttered while scribbling something down.

"Me? Unsupportive?" Sirius scoffed, suddenly sitting up straighter. "Whose had to chase Evans down corridors with you since first year? Me." He lent forward. "Whose had to distract Snivellus while you try flirt with Evans? Me." A pointed look eased its way onto his face. "And whose comforted you every time you have your monthly 'she'll never like me back' strop? ME."

Genevieve leant forward from the desk behind them. "Sirius," she hissed, "Stop. saying. WORDS."

Sirius whipped his head around to face her. "I don't know if you've ever had a conversation before Genny, but usually THEY. REQUIRE. WORDS," he retorted with just as much irritation in his voice.

"All of you shut up," Remus muttered from next to Genevieve, glancing up from his own work with a glare. "McGonagall will hear you—"

"Is there any reason why you are talking, Mr Lupin?" Professor McGonagall asked from the front of the class, her lips pursed as she waited for an answer. Her expression seemed to become more stern by the day.

Everyone in the class turned to Remus. He shrunk under their watchful eyes and gulped down a lump forming in his throat. "No- Not at all, Professor. My apologies," he answered guiltily.

The teacher narrowed her eyes for a moment before they returned back down to her parchment. Everyone turned back to their own work, losing interest as the sudden disturbance. As if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders, Remus let out a sigh of relief. He sent them all a sharp look of warning before continuing his essay, his handwriting perfectly neat and cursive.

Everyone went back to scribbling away except Peter. He drummed his fingers against his desk in thought. "Didn't you already go on a date with her?" he asked finally after a moment of silence.