SIXTY TWO

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Remus Lupin had always been a sly thing. He had an unnatural talent for participating in trouble yet never having to deal with the consequences of it- either that or he would sweet talk his way out of consequences. When asked about his sudden disappearances by his classmates, he was easily able to deflect the question and change the topic of conversation. He had the best hiding spots in Gryffindor Tower, but he only knew about these places because he had to hide his chocolate from Peter constantly.

These were things that came naturally to him by now.

Of course Genevieve knew that he was the slyest person you could ever meet - but she didn't know how sly Remus could be until it came down to him avoiding her.

When she would try and talk to him at the end of class, he would already be out the door before she had even picked up her bag. If she saw him in the corridors she would chase after him, but he would end up vanishing out of sight eventually. She had tried to stay up and ambush him when he came back from prefect rounds, but sleep always dropped upon her like a heavy brick before long. She reckoned he was staying out longer than usual just to avoid her.

Sat around the Black Lake with Lily, embracing the partial quiet that surrounded them, Genevieve couldn't help but think about his avoidance. If it wasn't for the boys on the other side of the lake goofing around wildly, then maybe she would be able to get to the end of a thought instead of mentally cursing them out before finishing it.

Swallowing down the lump in her throat, Genevieve tried focusing on the open book in her lap, but the thoughts always caught back up to her. Her eyes flicked from the unread pages to the girl at her side.

The redhead seemed much more at peace than she did, laid on her front and smiling slightly as she read her own book. Her happy mood seemed to make the grass greener. She barely acknowledged the annoying boys across the lake.

Genevieve hesitated for a moment, not knowing whether to disrupt her or not. "Do you think he'll ever talk to me again?" said Genevieve eventually. Her voice, quieter than usual, blended harmoniously with the spring birds chirping in song.

Lily looked up from her book, already knowing who Genevieve was talking about. Her emerald eyes caught the sunlight and glistened like the Black Lake in front of them. "I think that Remus knows not to give up on something good," she responded softly.

"But he will if he has a good enough reason," Genevieve added. Laid on her back, she stared at the blossom tree above them. Sunlight crept through the gaps of the baby pink flowers. "What if this is the reason?"

"It won't be." She winced as the boys across the lake yelled a little too loudly for her liking.

Genevieve frowned. "How do you know?" She watched as a blossom petal floated gracefully to the ground.