FORTY SEVEN

✧・ ゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・ ゚: *✧・゚:*

Returning home was a much needed trip for Genevieve. She had felt so drained at Hogwarts for longest time ever, and after she had told her father this on the train ride home, he wholeheartedly agreed that it was a good move to go home for Christmas. Of course, there was the exception of spending Christmas at the Potters, but Genevieve had agreed with James for her to arrive on a later date than the rest of them. She wanted to spend some time with her family first.

Being back in Devon was like a heavy weight being lifted from her shoulders. While the scent of earth and greenery that lingered around Hogwarts had always been pleasant, it held no match for her homes scent, as the smell of sea salt from the beach and the lavender that surrounded her gardens was the most comforting aroma Genevieve had ever came across.

Being back home made her feel partially whole again, and despite her several petty arguments with Anna already, she still felt a lot more happier than she had been at Hogwarts. As her dad had said, maybe she just needed a change of scenery.

Sat in the middle of her bed, crisscross applesauce, Genevieve gazed around the room with a sense of familiarity. She could tell Anna had been snooping through her room because the bedside draw had been left fully shut (Genevieve always left it slightly open so she would know if anyone had been it), there were fallen coat hangers and clothes in the bottom of her wardrobe, and her muggle polaroid camera had been moved from the left side of her desk to the right sight. Other than that, her room was still the exact same.

Genevieve noticed that the pictures on her beige walls were getting old. They were all from first year upwards to fourth year. In her fifth year, she had taken barely any photos, and she hadn't taken a single one in her sixth year yet. She made a mental reminder to take her camera back to Hogwarts and take more photographs.

She looked at a photograph of her, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter in their first year deeply. The longer she stared at their younger selves, the more the feeling of melancholy deepened. In the photo, James's had yanked one of Sirius's obsidian curls just as the camera had clicked, and Sirius's hand had flew up to hit Genevieve in the face. Being caught of guard, Genevieve was knocked off her balance and was left to tumble into Peter, whose eyes were wide open with fear. Despite all the chaos around them, Remus stood at the side of the photo with a hand rubbing the back of his neck and a bashful smile gracing his face, blissfully unaware of what was happening. It was a muggle photo as well, which made it all the better.

They were so innocent to second guess anything back then. They didn't know that six years down the line, there would be muggleborn killings, and the world around them would be collapsing graciously yet violently. Genevieve looked up at the ceiling and blinked away the tears gathering in her eyes. It hurt to know that she could never feel the same way as she did back then ever again. That just wasn't how life worked, and she had to get over it. With everything going on, Genevieve decided to pull herself together and live in the present rather than the past.