SEVENTY FOUR

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Normal headaches were bad enough. A headache caused by a hangover, Remus found, was even worse. He also found that thinking a lot made it even worse, but it was simply impossible not to think when he had made a very, very stupid decision, in his opinion.

Remus kept his head down at the Gryffindor table. One - because the sunlight was too bright for him. Two - Genevieve was directly across from him and if he looked up, he was certain she would catch him looking. It was more than definite she was pleased with his revelation, mostly because it boosted her ego, and he couldn't bare to face her teasing.

Every time he glanced up at her, she was doing the most mundane things. Spreading jam on her toast, adding sugar to her coffee, laughing under her breath at something with Peter, but whenever he saw her he would turn his eyes back down and blush as if she had done something to flatter him. Her very existence created butterflies in his stomach.

There was a cup of coffee in front of him, the smell intoxicating and the dark liquid looking smooth, but he couldn't muster the energy to lift his hand for it. He closed his eyes, trying to channel out everyone's voices and the noises in the hall, and pictured himself drinking the coffee instead. It burnt his throat a little, but he didn't care. When he opened his eyes again, the coffee was still in front of him and untouched.

"Now, Moony," James started, breaking him out of his thoughts and slinging an arm over the boys shoulder. "In a school like this, full of drunks like us, how have you never suffered a hangover?"

Remus pressed his eyes together, trying not to wince at James's always-loud voice. "I've never gotten drunk because I knew this would happen," he answered, groggily. "I didn't even know that there was Firewhiskey in the goblet."

"I can't imagine never getting drunk," Sirius said. "How else would I keep sane?"

"Don't kid yourself, Padfoot, you've never been sane. Here, drink this," Peter said, pouring a glass of water for Remus, "and eat some toast. That's the best way to cure a hangover."

"Either that, or cold pizza," added James. "But the elves don't serve that for breakfast, which is honestly a little insulting."

"The nerve," murmured Remus dryly, then slowly taking a sip of water.

Sirius watched him, finding the situation more funny. "You'll be alright by the end of the day," he said, "let's hope you're not puking in first period."

"And why would Lupin be puking in first period, Black?" said a stern voice from behind him. At the sound of Professor McGonagall, all of their backs straightened before she scolded them for slouching. Sirius removed his elbows from the table and Remus lifted his head - he avoided eye contact with Genevieve, of course.