THIRTY FOUR

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Remus didn't know if he had done something wrong. He didn't think he had done anything wrong. It might have just been him overthinking, the usual case scenario, but how could he not when Sirius, James and Genevieve had spent nearly the whole carriage ride huddled together
while sharing low whispers and the occasional spurt of laughter.

Peter didn't seem to mind too much, he was more angry about the fact that he had already eaten his supply of sweets from the trolley lady. Instead of munching down on a cauldron cake or a chocolate frog, he was sat picking at his nails and letting out the the occasional bored sigh.

Finally getting annoying with the inaudible nattering between the three, Remus leaned forward and asked, "What are you all talking about?"

The whispering came to a stop suddenly and all three of them whipped their heads around to look at Remus with the most innocent yet guilty smiles plastered on their faces.

"Just talking about Quidditch," James answered for them all with a shrug as Genevieve and Sirius nodded and hummed in agreement.

Remus raised his eyebrow and nodded, unconvinced. "Right."

"We reckon that James will be team captain this year with Emmie gone and everything," Genevieve informed Remus, carrying on with the lie.

In reality, they had been conversing on the most efficient method of sneaking out the Great Hall without anyone noticing — including Remus.

"Well he is the best chaser that Hogwarts has ever seen," Peter chimed in thoughtfully.

"Don't go boosting his ego, Pete," Genevieve warned Peter, watching the way James's mouth slowly quirked up into a smug smirk out the corner of her eye. "You know what he's like."

James laughed. "Too late, Gingy. It's already been said."

He laughed again as she sent a crude gesture his way.

"Hang on. If James is the best chaser." Sirius turned to look at Peter, a hunter finding it's prey and locking its target. "Then who is the best beater?"

A small whistle came from James as he leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms and awaiting the definite chaos to unfold.

Peters attention steered from his fingernails to Sirius instantly, then to Genevieve, and then back to Sirius. Face flushed with a bright shade of pink, Peters voice cracked as he said a small and uneasy, "What?"

"Don't be afraid Pete." Genevieve smiled in a way that appeared as sweet but her eyes gave away the innocent facade. They were manipulating, threatening even, and far more intimidating than her usual soft ones. "Who is the best beater?"

A throaty, strained laugh released from Peter as he tried his hardest to not answer. "I can't answer that one, too many good players."

"But you must have a favourite." Genevieve said, tilting her head curiously.