SEVENTY

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

It was lucky that Genevieve, or Lily for that matter, didn't suffer a major hangover. Lily winced sometimes at loud sounds, and Genevieve claimed to have a dull throb in her head, but neither of them were puking up their insides into the toilet. Thomas was more than relieved at this and Mary was still completely oblivious.

Genevieve had opened all of her gifts. Around her wrist was now a bracelet with a beautiful pattern of daisies on it, and Lily had a matching one with lilies on instead (ironic). James had gone all out, as always, and bought her a new broom. It was no doubt to have costed a lot, but James made sure to reassure her that price tags meant nothing to him if it was for a good cause. Sirius had went ahead and bought a vinyl that she had been dying for - Electric Warrior by T. Rex. Peter had bought her a Fleetwood Mac band t-shirt because he knew Geneveieve had quite the obsession with Stevie Nicks. Remus, his present being left till last, had made her a full batch of Gingerbread Cookies (they tasted heavenly) and Rocky Horror Picture Show on VHS tape.

Now, as her parents came into the dining room with a homemade birthday cake in their hands, 17 candles on top and coated with vanilla icing, Genevieve couldn't help but smile. Her cheeks were beginning to ache from smiling so much, but she couldn't withhold it.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to Genevieve," the room sang. Mary, her eyes holding an unbelievable amount of love in them, bent down to place the cake in front Genevieve. "Happy birthday to you!"

"Make a wish, dear," whispered Mary.

Genevieve didn't believe in birthday wishes. None of her's had ever came true. She wished to get better at Transfiguration, and she ended up failing the whole class altogether. Despite this, she closed her eyes, made a wish and then blew out her candles in one big huff. Everyone cheered.

"Go on then, Gen," Peter said later when she was cutting the cake, waiting patiently for his slice. "What did you wish for?"

"I can't tell you," Genevieve replied, "If I do it won't come true."

Peter looked almost amused, lifting an eyebrow. "Isn't that a load of rubbish?"

"Definitely," she agreed. "But that doesn't mean I would risk reversing it."

"Wish that special to you, huh?"

Genevieve shrugged. "Well it's better to be safe than sorry, isn't it?"

Peter's face, cheerful and always flushed red, dropped slightly. The corners of his lips tugged downward, and his eyes seemed to dim, but this mood passed in a matter of seconds. Once again he was Peter Pettigrew, an omen of happiness. "I suppose you're right," he said, quite hoarse.