THIRTY EIGHT

✧・ ゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・ ゚: *✧・゚:*

Lily watched Genevieve impatiently bounce her leg up and down with narrowed and curious eyes. Ever since Genevieve had sat down at the table she had been either bouncing her leg or fiddling with the butterfly necklace around her neck. Her eyes hadn't so much as glimpsed away from the entrance to the Great Hall either.

"What's got you so worked up?" Lily asked finally after she realised Genevieve wouldn't be stopping any time soon.

Genevieve kept her eyes on the entrance as she replied, "Nothing."

Lily's face curved into a frown as she bit down on the inside of her cheek. Looking down the table, she realised that the usual boisterous gang of four hadn't yet seated themselves. No wonder it was so quiet today. "Waiting for your knights in shining armour?" she chuckled while picking up a slice of toast.

"They're not my knights in shining armour," Genevieve snorted. "If anything I'm their knight."

"So does that mean you're waiting for them?" Lily repeated herself, buttering the toast before sliding it  onto Genevieve's empty plate. She had a feeling that Genevieve had forgotten food was a thing.

Genevieve nodded and picked up the toast with her eyes still focused on the entrance. "This is really good," Genevieve hummed in approval as she bit into it. "Yeah, I'm waiting for them."

"How come they're not here?"

Genevieve stopped chewing her toast momentarily. "Well you see, Lily, our good friend Remus is secretly a werewolf. Big shocker— I know. Anyways, tonight he grows fur and massive teeth which is totally cool but not cool at the same time, so he's struggling right now. Imagine trying to get a werewolf out of bed on the day of transformation— that's why they're not here. Remus has probably annihilated them by now for trying to take away his blanket. "

But Genevieve didn't say any of that.
Instead, she finally detached her eyes from the entrance and looked at Lily. "Remus refuses to get out of bed sometimes and the boys didn't want to hold me up," she shrugged before taking a bite out of her crumpet.

"I see," Lily said, "The opposite of you then."

"Only on his rough days," mumbled Genevieve.

The sound of footsteps approaching the Gryffindor table alerted Genevieve. She looked over in the direction of them, catching sight of James, Sirius, Peter and yet no Remus.

"Looks like they were defeated," Lily pointed out before turning to converse with Alice.

With their faces hanging in disappointed frowns, they all sat in the spot that Genevieve had preserved next to her. They all looked exhausted to say the least.